• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Innovative auction mart project; a new way to communicate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Immediate Release

(Calgary, Alberta) October 7, 2009 – Alberta Beef Producers (ABP) and the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association (CCA) will soon be reaching producers with an exciting new joint project.

Large flat screen monitors will be available for all auction marts across Alberta. These monitors will broadcast information from ABP and CCA, cattle prices from CanFax, drought information, and weather maps unique to each regional area, Alberta Agriculture information, local auction mart sales information, plus much more.

“As part of a pilot program, we have a monitor broadcasting live at Vold Jones and Vold Auction Co. in Ponoka and another one ready to be installed at Perlich Bros. Auction Mart in Lethbridge,” said Brent Carey, ABP Communications Committee Chair. “We are looking forward to contacting the other 25 auction marts in the province within the next week to see if they are interested in coming on board as well.”

CCA’s vision is to have auction marts across Canada carry the monitors.
    The Communications Committee is excited to take on this project because it means a new way to get messaging to producers. By placing the monitors in auction marts, we are reaching producers in a gathering place and giving them easy access to information pertinent to their operations.

Because of funding made available through the Alberta Livestock and Meat Agency, auction marts will have the monitors made available at no cost.

"The Communications Committee is excited to take on this project because it means a new way to get messaging to producers."
    Kind of like Pravda then? -and this is a wise use of ALMA funds??

Comment

Alma can choose what they fund...

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I'm interested in hearing what producers think of this project. It's not just ABP/CCA information on the screens, so even people who have no desire to receive our information will still find these useful. There are specific drought and weather maps, cattle prices, government assistance information and ect on them. It's kind of a bit like "Cow TV." Is there anything you would want to see on them Grassfarmer, in order to make them useful for you? What sort of information do you think needs to be placed on the monitors?

Comment

I just find it bizarre - OK if it was 1920 and no-one had a TV or internet. Anyone that wants this information today is already well aware of where to find it and is checking it already. The old "coffee row" ranchers that go to the auction every week and don't have a computer at home likely will be too busy talking (or too deaf to hear) it anyway ;o)
          Just a bizarre, bizarre use of money in this day and age in my opinion.

Comment

You go to a grocery store or to an airport and they have the same monitors there. It's just another means to get informaton out.

The idea is to bring information to producers. Not every rancher scours the internet for information, nor does everyone read the ABP newsletter or other various publications.

I can honestly say that the one thing I hear over and over again is that producers aren't getting all the information they want. They always say that with advertising and communications, the more times you place the same information in front of someone, the more likely they are to absorb it.

The group of producers that is on this forum are very technologically advanced. I know many ranchers that get their calf prices online, but end there. My hope is that this project will help producers learn more about what is available to them in their industry.

Comment

You had me convinced lori until you mentioned that many don't read the grass roots news. They could read it when convenient at their favorite reading chair. If they won't do that, will they stand at a screen at the auction mart when there are so many other distractions? I see what you are striving for and think the goal is laudable, so like you, I am willing to watch and see how it goes. My wife wondered whether it was not being read because of the content.

Comment

Per - I sure hope that people stop and watch - even for a moment. That's why I'm looking for feedback from produces on what they would watch.

Fistly, with prices scrolling on the bottom, similar to CNN-style shows, it should help to draw people to view the monitor. Per, what would entice you to watch?

Also, I think you got my wording wrong - I stated "nor does everyone read the ABP newsletter,"....not that most don't read it.

Comment

I guess we must shop at different grocery stores Lori - the only screen at ours is at the checkout till. The airport is a different matter - that serves a purpose of giving time critical information to travellers who are away from home and don't have access to the internet to check arrival/departure time updates. There is no such rush to read market reports or ABP newsletters so I don't think you can compare the two. I'm sorry but in my opinion this is a complete waste of time and money - throwing money at technology with no worthwhile goal in mind.

Comment

Grassfarmer, I'm sorry to hear you think it's a waste of time. I can't win everyone I guess. There is going to be feedback on both ends of the spectrum on this, and I would invite comments from both.

Once the monitors are installed (I want to have them all in by the end of the year), have a look and let me know what you think. If there are any ideas ahead of time, let me know too. VJV in Ponoka and Perlich in Lethbridge have been awesome to work with and are giving us feedback. Both operations are very excited about the monitors. Their sale information is also posted, so they are getting something out of the deal as well.

The beauty of this is that we can upload information at the drop of a hat, so we can add items as they come along.

My email at the office is loric@albertabeef.org if you want to drop me a note privately as well.

Comment

I'd rather have seen ALMA spend their money on getting started with a credible traceability system. Install alley way readers and software at the auctions - read them in, read them out and you know instantly where they came from and where they are going. And before anyone says it can't be done it can - I saw the system demonstrated in England in 1996 and it worked just fine.

Comment

Lori I think that the monitors at the auctions are just the tip of the iceberg. Could you tell me how many dollars have been given to those markets in the name of traceability. Could you also tell me how many similar dollars have been given to the two major packers to enhance their traceability. i understand that CCA and by extension ABP was supportive of giving the two major packers $50 million to assist with their losses due to BSE separation and disposal costs. I have heard a lot of rhetoric about the fate of CBEF because of diminished funding but if those same two packers were to pull their weight and put on $3/head like we're supposed to do, then CBEF would have a budget in excess of $6 million from them alone and let's face it, they are marketing 95% of the beef and with a $15 basis, there's very little trickling down to producers.

Comment

Yes, the CBEF situation is ridiculous sawbones. I see that checkoff dollars paid 31.8% ($2.42 million)of CBEF budget with the "partner contributions" and memberships totaling only 2.9% ($222,000)
                          Talk about leveraging investment!! Absolutely no reason why producers should be on the hook for that amount of dollars - as F_S always says producers sell live cattle they don't sell beef.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...