• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refundable levy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refundable levy

I was looking at the proposed delivery method of the refundable levy that came with the ABP annual report. What a runaround - my question is how much of the procedure is necessary versus trying to make it difficult for producers to claim their refund so that they don't bother?
    It seems the procedure will be as follows - every animal sold will still be docked $3. Producers can claim retrospectively on a monthly basis for the animals they sold that month and provide required documentation blah, blah...A couple of months later the ABP will cut you a cheque, if you are due $100 anyway - if your claim is for less you have to wait until your total gets to $100 or the ABP financial year comes to an end in which case they will pay out lesser sums. Oh and you don't get $3 back - the people docking the original levy (usually auctions) get a 5 cent cut each time and this will continue. Now their will also be an ABP processing fee charge of 5 cents a time.
    Wouldn't it just be simpler to:
    a. insert a yes or no tick box on the manifest indicating whether the producer wanted a refund of levy?

or

b. Allow ABP to collect levy as before - sent each producer a statement once a year showing their levy contributions and asking if they want them refunded?

or

c. Quit collecting levy at all - allow producers that want to belong to ABP pay a membership to that organisation like all the other groups in the real world have to do?

How does the refundable levy work in other provinces?

Grassfarmer you and I don't even get to
    vote for an ABP delegate this year, ours
    are all in by acclamation.

Comment

Have you moved? there is still an election in zone 6 according to the annual report I got - 3 stooges that have stood before plus a Tim Sekura. Anybody know anything about him?

Comment

Nope grassfarmer, I have NOT moved, but
        I do happen to be in the 'know' on this
        one. Kevin Boon has resigned from the
        board due to his acceptance of the
        position of GM of the BC Cattlemen's
        association. He takes on that position
        next month.
        I have known Tim since he was five years
        old. He runs a 700 cow/calf operation
        plus a 1500 head backgrounding lot north
        of Rocky Rapids. He and his son Cody
        farm together and Tim's father is also
        involved to a limited extent.
        Cody got his Ag Mechanics ticket from
        Olds College and both he and his Dad's
        only goal in life was to farm and run
        cows.
        Tim is a very down to earth person,
        makes his entire income off the cattle
        business and has never been a drugstore
        cowboy in his life. He will do
        everything he possibly can to represent
        the cow/calf sector and as a producer I
        am very pleased that he put his name on
        the ballot and now is elected by
        acclamation.

Comment

Well that's a win-win for me. Now I don't even have to vote and we still get rid of Boone. I'm surprised he would go to BC though - doesn't he know there's no packers to back there?

Comment

Actually,I have heard that Kevin finished
            in the running when the BC Cattlemen hired
            the last GM, and they were pleased to be
            able to get him this time around.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...