• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience baling greenfeed in snow?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience baling greenfeed in snow?

How quick or will it heat if it's baled at -12 and set end to end? Or are we still getting Indian summer?

This should be our "early Sept weather, where it turns cold and uglier for awhile. Heck, there are still lots of green leaves on trees. I predict we are in for much nicer weather for at least 2-3 weeks......but hey, I've been wrong many times!

Comment

I hope you're not wrong this time! We've still got a lot of things to do to get ready for real winter. To top it off, we've got a winter storm warning for tomorrow! ARRRGGGHHH..........

Oh well, back to digging potatoes I go.

Comment

Our Oat/Barley mix is still standing. Green as ever, and covered in snow, just like the trees all over the countryside. Funny lookin' sight.

It's supposed to warm up to 15 by Saturday, and I've got a lotta things planned for these few warm days. Knock the swath grazing down, get the pigs into their winter pen that we built today, drain some water tanks, blah, blah, blah.

As for your greenfeed Frustrated1, if it's got snow on it, I wouldn't bale it. It would probably heat with that extra moisture in it. I'd wait for the warmer weather, and be ready to make bales while the sun shines. Good luck.

Comment

If you rake it during the night will it knock the snow off it as it rolls? or will it be frozen to the ground?
          Maybe the best case is swath grazing?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...