• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wildlife & Birds Spotting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife & Birds Spotting

Southeast: Deer. Moose. Elk. Porcupine. Coyotes. Magpie. Buzzard. Eagle. Hawk. Chickadees. Ravens.

Any spottings on your farm? pars

Honestly.....lack of habitat in the Slum of the Ghetto.

Comment

In the late summer, there were herds of deer feeding on the sainfoin fields, probably 30 or so, every day. I noticed fresh deer tracks around my lily patch last week. They love them & dig for the bulbs. Don't know how many deer will be left after this fall's hunting season

Herds of elk have been coming up into the barnyard. They cross the highway at night and feed, then return south before dawn. No moose in the yard this year that I have seen. They have bedded down 15 feet from the house in other years. I've taken pictures. Pars

Comment

I was feeding cows aClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	766243n a badger was digging a hole and a half hour later it's chewing on this poor coyote

Picture was taken on January 30th
        Last edited by TSIPP; Feb 21, 2018, 08:30.

Comment

Where the **** is the snow?

Comment

Never mind that..Where's the FROST?

Comment

It's so Darn dry there's really no frost, you need moisture for something to freeze.

I don't think we have gotten 4 inches of moisture in the last year and half, we went from flooding to dry really quickly, it's pretty extreme even Phoenix Arizona averages 8 inches a year.

Comment

Dog eat dog world has now morphed into badger eat coyote world .... pars

Comment

Nothing beats nature and wildlife
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	06040032.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	766245Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame-12-11-2017-10-30-27.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	766246Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0007.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	766244

Comment

The enemies I see and provide all the necessities of life on a regular basis are Deer (Whitetail and Mule), Moose, and the occasional elk. The enemies I rarely see, but still get the pleasure of feeding my livestock to are cougars, wolves, black bears and grizzly bears. Anyone who is willing and able to spot any of these through a rifle scope is welcome to view them anytime.

The less harmful invaders regularly seen are skunks, porcupines, foxes, coyotes, all kinds of owls, hawks and the odd eagle.

Comment

The birds I see at the feeder is Red Poles, Pine Grosbeaks, Chickadees and Blue Jays.

We have 15-20 Whitetail that come into the yard most nights and had a decent sized buck go into an empty grain bin and curl up on the floor and die. The local conservation officer is getting it checked for Chronic Wasting Disease.
                      I looked out the front window one morning and a moose was walking by and one night I was going to a hockey game and a moose stepped out in front of me on the hi way that I almost hit.

There is also a herd of 35-40 Elk that cross our home half going between some bush land and the Carrot River.
                      Last edited by seldomseen; Feb 21, 2018, 10:54.

Comment

We have lots of blue jays, red polls, pine siskins, chickadees, nuthatches and a few song sparrows. Had to scare a shrike away from the yard (hunting small birds). Magpies and ravens busy on road and coyote kills.

Red fox and coyote out. Why aren't the skunks and coons sleeping? Squirrels are busy. A few jackrabbits. Saw some fisher tracks as well as mink.

Some whitetails through the yard every night and a moose around.

Comment

We have all of the above except elk, the odd one goes through but no resident heard less than 30 mi away.lots of woodpeckers as we have a lot if trees and m a lot are dying the last few yrs, still wouldn't trade the trees for a canola field any day, we have about a 200 acre piece with 2 other neibours that I find very relaxing just to go for a walk and enjoy just being alive, I depose when I am gone someone will crash them trees, some people can't seem to stand seeing trees,i love em.

Comment

We also have lots of woodpeckers, both downy and large hairy. Also, just saw a weasel near some straw bales.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                              We have all of the above except elk, the odd one goes through but no resident heard less than 30 mi away.lots of woodpeckers as we have a lot if trees and m a lot are dying the last few yrs, still wouldn't trade the trees for a canola field any day, we have about a 200 acre piece with 2 other neibours that I find very relaxing just to go for a walk and enjoy just being alive, I depose when I am gone someone will crash them trees, some people can't seem to stand seeing trees,i love em.

Count yourself lucky if you don't have a resident Elk herd. Do what ever you can to discourage them! They are very destructive.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...