• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Fertility

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola Fertility

Are we sure that the high rates of N recommended are actually what good canola crops need?

We grew this canola on a 1-2-2-1 ratio. Our best canola this year.

Yielded very well.

That ratio is European protocol for canola vs. Canada's answer of more N all the time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170918_161843.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	777732
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170918_161828.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	777733

Also notice the even stand... Without a half million drill. Lol.

Comment

What were the lbs./ac. in your 1-2-2-1 blend ratio. Do you really think that much of a yield boost is coming from the potassium in the potash fert or the micro choride?

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
        Also notice the even stand... Without a half million drill. Lol.
        ..........doesn't look like the most challenging topography.

Comment

Hey Klause, what was your lbs/acre of product applied at that rate??

Comment

Don't the Europeans use alot more fertilizer than Western Canadians? So your N may still be quite high but your point is the ratio?

Tell the whole story...

Comment

Interesting thanks Klause.
              I wonder if the Canola councils have a generic recommendation?

Comment

This field was 50-100-100-50.

We have another at 30-50-50-30.

Actually rolling land... But you'll see in the pics of the hill field the other trial is on... Drill seeds the same all the time.

Actually we've gotten to the point where some guys were in Sask are using more fertiliser than they do in Europe... But only growing half or a little less than half the crop.

Potash is the big one nobody wants to use here... Pouring on a bunch of N without potassium is silly. And just because we have it a mile down in the ground doesn't mean the plants have it... Soil tests lie a lot about K.

I'm not sure it's the potassium the micros with it, the salt index balancing the pH ot a bit of each, tbh

Comment

Those actual or bulk pounds?

Comment

How are you placing that much, not with the seed, but banding ?

Comment

I hope that is pounds of product and not actual. If its actual that is in excess of 500 lbs/ac of product so you would obviously need it to yield well!!!

Comment

I'll guess they're actual?
                        My agronomist sounds a little like Klause. But wow thats a lot of p k in one year. I get criticized for 25-30#s.
                        I do want to thank klause for posting his real numbers. Real info is very much appreciated. Hopefully the anonymity can allow this exchange to continue. Just ignore the wieners.

Comment

One comment Klause, get a few years of these practices under your belt with consistent results before you start telling everyone how great they are. Exhaust injection worked for a few years too until all the nutrients were depleted.

It is a proven fact canola removes roughly a 2-1-.5-.5 ratio of npks per bu. This is a fact so why would you not fertilize for removal.

Comment

There may appear to be anonymity upfront there is some contacts made behind the scenes.

I respect Klaus's efforts and like his posts, but some questions need to be asked for clarification purposes.

Case in point.... how can the crop use 100 lbs of each phos and potassium? What's uptake and removal of a decent crop? I can see someone "banking" phos if you own your land....

Explain the lie about potassium levels on soil tests....unavailable to the plant. I often thought the response to potash fertilizer can come from a low soil test level of the micro-nutrient Chloride.

This isn't confrontational debating, its a discussion.

Seems like I am repeating some of the above post was saying but I was busy typing mine out before I had a chance to read bgmb's.
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 19, 2017, 10:07.

Comment

Klause's idea fits inline with the Haney soil test. Our soils are much more capable of feeding the crop N then the conventional soil testing is suggesting. A friend in North Dakota has been benchmarking fields with the Haney test for 4 years now and is seeing impressive results... so far. This is worth following or trying until proven wrong on your soils.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...