• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I.D. tags

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I.D. tags

Well I tagged all the calves this spring with the CCIA tags and I've sold my cull cows with no tags this fall. By next year I'll have to have cows tagged when I sell them. A couple of calves have lost their tags already. What I want to know is if there is a small metal tag I can do my whole cow herd with, this fall when I run them through the chute? Sort of like the old bangs tag? They don't fall out and I'd not have to be tagging cows every fall when I cull them?

There are currently no metal tags available under the CCIA program. Those that are approved are located on the CCIA website.

[URL="http://www.cattle.ca/ccia/tag_options.htm"]Click here for the list of approved tags.[/URL] <br>

Comment

They should check it out. There used to be a round metal tag, about the size of a quarter, that was just about 100% retainable. As much room to get the bar code on as the small plastic dangle tags. You could do all your cows and then use them on all replacements. No way are these plastic tags going to stay in the ear for 12 yrs. or so.
      I guess if you put those small tags really deep in the ear they might stay on better. Could be fun trying to read them in the packing house though.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...