• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curly Willow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curly Willow

I am doing a study on the market for curly willow (corkscrew willow). Is there anyone out there who can give me some information about growth, harvesting, or marketing characteristics. For example, how old does the tree have to be before the willow branches can be cut off and sold? How many cuttings can you get per tree? Who is the largest buyer? What is the wholesale or retail price, and how is it sold?
    This seems to be a very strong market.

Curly or corkscrew willow is defined by its spiral twisting of its branches. These uniquely shaped branches are used in floral arrangements and are relative newcomers to the fresh cut floral market.
    They are a fast growing tree, not demanding of soil type but requires ample moisture for best growth. You can root a small (2-inch) piece of the branch in potting soil and it will turn into a tree within a season. Two popular varieties are 'Golden Curls' and 'Scarlet Curls'.
    Often older trees are killed by winter or parts of the tree will winterkill. Younger plants are less sensitive to winter injury and therefore it is a good idea to start new plants periodically. The branching habit of the tree is affected by the type of pruning you practice. Pruning can occur in late winter or early spring.
    The largest market for curly willow branches are in the fresh-cut floral market, with primary buyers being wholesale florists or retail florists.

Comment

4STREE;
      Do you know the Scientific name for the Curly Willow?

It would be Salix ??????????

If you would give me the naem, I may have information on that Willow Variety.

Brian

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.