• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally started peas.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally started peas.

Got started on first field of peas today and they are finally dry. Its an OK crop no bin buster but its OK. Smaller seeds than last year probably due to low moisture this spring an summer. Started swathing canola HA HA HA HA went about 500 feet stopped for a P's checked a brown looking plants seeds green and small. Went to a green plant same small seed. Dropped the Rollers and swath another field of Barley. Will head north tomorrow checked the 500 acres their and it should be ready by afternoon. No Durum sprayed yet still immature kernels. Only one thousand acres of HRS sprayed. How is every one else doing. This years maturity is driving me nuts. Lots swathing and spraying but few checking. We will have reports this fall that the Canola crop has lower oil content and small seeds plus yield of 10.4 is best we will get out of this crop. How are the rest of you doing.

Were you not just taking quotes on a new tractor? Somehow the info you post is contradictory. A poor crop equals a new tractor. Figure that math out -anyone?

Comment

We finished peas today... 15 bu/ac to 50 bu/ac depending where the rains went.Red and green lentils are also done and yield was all over the place.Again depending where the rain went. One good thing the green lentils are really green(best colour I have seen in years). The buyers will find something wrong with them, they always do.

Comment

took time to have a close look at hrs and durum fields today. i was quite disappointed in what i saw, particularly with the wheat that was mature and closest to straight cutting. in heads i rubbed out, the kernels were peaked and shriveled, looking more like dry dates. the seed coats were rough and dimpled, rather than plump and smooth. yes, the colour was great, but i'm thinking lighter bushel weights! checked a couple other neighbors fields, same thing. i guess these late rains didn't help the earlier wheat down here. SESK

Comment

Bucket you dont buy a 300000 tractor based on one crop. Its worked into budget. I think the rain is unfortunately not going to give us a large Canola seed like last year.

Comment

Finished malt barley,80
            Started canola 40ish(i think),green count is non exisitant because of humid mornings,swathed on the green side,(ya ya money lost)but i'm combining and now have time to swath mustard.Swathed durum is real close-desicated-not close.

Comment

CP, how long has your canola been laying??

Comment

Cotton how large are the canola seeds compared to last year. I am finding them smaller and we havent swath yet.

Comment

Its been down 12 days,moisture was 11.2

Seeds are deffinatly smaller,i'll do a comparitive bushel test weight if i get a chance.

Comment

Also SE Sask, peas have been done for a while, doing canola last few days that has been down about 14 days. No green, good and dry (7-8%). No bin busters here either. Should be able to start durum in the next few days, this heat has really brought things along. The humidity makes for late starts and early nights though.

Comment

I thought the Heavy rain in August would plump them up some.

Comment

Just a word of caution on the combining after 12 days.

In 01, and 07 picked up canola on September long that was cut Aug 20th, both times by Oct 1st it was heating on me. We mark every bin, when harvesting, and all 3 bins had 0 green and were testing 7-8% moisture.

We now leave Canola minimum 16 days, and usually wait 21.

Comment

snappy, did you run your aeration fans on those bins?? some people don't run their fans because they feel it's already dry or are afraid to dry it more. on canola like that, we run the fans during the 'night only', for about a week, no problems then. turn them on when getting home from the field and off when you go out in the morning.

Comment

I agree with snappy , cotton are you hauling the canola to the elevator yet especially if it was never dry your canola at 11.5 is like dynomite?
                            I intend to leave mine lay 3 weeks also. Then again I have June, july, and sept. basis contracts on the Cargill specialty canola. And I also have wheat to combine at the same time, helps I guess.

Comment

We never combine canola till October Let the swath rot in field makes harvesting way easier. Also cures real good. Plus cooler so stores easily.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.