• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone sell sheep or goats direct to consumers?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone sell sheep or goats direct to consumers?

I heard there is a good ethnic market in areas for sheep and goats...wondering about how hard it is to try something like that as a sideline business?

We have been seeling lamb directly from the farm for over 16 years. I'm not so sure I would call it a sideline business - in fact it is a full time job in and of itself. With raising them, taking hem to the processor and then delivery of the lamb to customers, it requires a lot of time and patience, particularly to grow your consumer base.

I'm not sure where you're from, but here in Alberta it is illegal to let people come and kill on the farm. As a producer, you can kill on your farm for your own immediate consumption, but nothing more. In essence, you would be selling uninspected meat, which can carry a lot of fines and headaches.

It is very rewarding in many respects and there is no middleman, which is the most expensive part of the system. The corollary to that is you are left with all the risk (or at least the lions share of it) and it takes a lot of work to build and keep clientele.

Hope this is of some help.

Best of luck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.