• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Pork Aid Help or Hinder?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Pork Aid Help or Hinder?

http://www.farms.com/FarmsPages/ENews/NewsDetails/tabid/189/Default.aspx?NewsID=22881

Canada’s government will set off squeals of protests no matter how it decides to handle a plea for aid from its desperate hog farmers.

If Ottawa fails to come through on the $800-million loan request, Canada stands to lose a large chunk of its once-lucrative hog sector to bankruptcy and closures.

But aid for Canadian hogs will read as an attack on farmers in the United States, Canada’s largest market, where producers say they’ll do what they can to stop the proposal.

“Essentially, what this does is it transfers suffering among pork producers from north of the border to south of the border, and we’re not going to stand by and let that happen,” said Nick Giordano, vice-president of the U.S. National Pork Producers Council. “We’re not going to want to wait. We’re going to scream bloody murder. We’re going to go political.”

High feed costs and recession-depressed exports have ruined bottom lines and frayed tempers in the North American hog industry, where farmers have lost money for about two years. Hog prices fell to a six-year low on Thursday.

“It’s never been so bad,” Mr. Giordano said.

--
    Sounds like aid for hog producers will be announced this weekend - you think this is a lose-lose situation?

Hog producers have been sold down the river. End of story.

Comment

It interests me how HiTech and McGrath's Sinnet barns can keep operating in Leroy.
      And purchase barns and feed mills to boot in this market. Is it all in the accounting and gov't programs? Not much into eating pork but if I can get my hands on this outside finished pork I do.

Comment

Our last local producer is shutting down after thirty years of raising what could be described as "free range" hogs. He just can't afford to lose money for four to six months of the year as the market swings forth and back.

Too bad, but as they say..."That's Progress".

Comment

Lots of producers taking the buyout. No worries, pork eaters. Russia is building sow barn like there's no tomorrow.

In our "globalized" economy, the local producer has no more value than the world's lowest cost producer. And there's always someone willing to do it for less, it seems.

http://www.meatinternational.com/news/russia-increased-pork-production-volumes-id2207.html

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.