• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one interested in a conference

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one interested in a conference

It's well known fact there is alot of farmers wanting information on reducing input costs soil health and healthier plants. There a few who comment on here but i know there are many more who read and never write. I know there are guys who try new things but with only one year to try things it may take many years to get a result. As well you may think you will be looked down upon by other farmers in your area for trying these new things. we need more young farmers but how do we get these young people interested when they watch mom and dad fight over money being stressed out and seeing the impact of high priced inputs and low cost when they sell. they watch this and i believe it's burned into them at a very young age that there is better out there. If families would be happy and be positive then the young people would feel better about continuing the family farm. Think about what you have said infront of your kids about the way the year is going and the money issues i don't blame them about not wanting to get into this industry.

So here is what i'm thinking. We'll start with on confernece late fall or early next year. I'll get 2 or 3 speakers to talk about what ever they want for an hour. We'll start at 9 in the morning we end and noon. You guys leave for dinner and come back at 1:30. Either we will have all three up on stage to answer questions or divide them into three groups were you can each get a bit of time with each person. You can bring your soil samples ect and get them to look at them and get there comments. Then it will give you time to decide if you want to go this route before seeding next year. Then next fall we will meet again to talk about what we did over the groowing season. 10 guys trying a product is better then just one, more results faster. We'll try and plan the conference around a day were there is somthing going on for the family in the city oh ya saksatoon is a good location pretty much central to everyone. The family can go around town and we can be at the conference . These speakers will be paid and this conference will NEVER be sponsered by a chem company or fert comany. Its an ideendent conference. If we gave each speaker a $1000 dollars and they have to pay there own expenses and had a grand for a room rental then we could do this for 4000 and if we got 100 guys to attend thats only 40 a ticket. how cheaper do you want. I am willing to head this up for no cost I'll do it for the good of agriculture.

If there is anough interest think of the money this could save you. This could be a huge event and i even have ideas on were i would like to take this my idea.

Please give me your feedback on this and your ideas. This year is perfect to show you that maybe the way of conventional farming is a failing by the roadside and we need a new mindset to reduce costs, reduce inputs, educate farmers, get young people interested and to get more money in your pocket at the end of the day.

And if anybody would be interested in helping me so we could talk about ideas please let me know (a board of directors kind of thing).

good to see some enthusiasm but conferences cost more than you are figuring I would suggest the Wheat Growers to get a good group or if you are more interested in younger folks only there is the Saskatchewan young Agriculture entrepreneurs. they are a newer group looking for members, they are organizing a get togeather at the Rider game on the 3rd of July. e-mail me if you want some details
    ggust@wheatgrowers.ca

Comment

I have been involved in a few ideas along the way. Conferences can be cheaper if done right no frills just good information. But nice to see you got a plug for the wheat growers in there lol. If your members want to come thats fine. This is not about getting guys from a wheat growers group to fill chairs. If a producers wants to better there farm then they alone have to come down. Maybe in your news letter you can let your guys know about this and they can contact myself.

So gerrid Gust( thats who this is right) don't use this to get members start your own post to recruit members. And if you really are for that farmers you will tell all your memers to contact me.

See guys you get a good idea and already they are trying to sneak there way in there and steal some credit. Thats how good ideas get offtrack and then you get the same old information.

I figure if i can get 100 guys to confirm they would attend this would go ahead. I likely have 10 already.

Comment

not trying to hijack your thread just letting you know you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
        If you think you can put something on for $40.00 a head with no sponsors. great.
        In my experience speakers of quality don't just show up with out having to pay expenses. they are selling their knowledge as well and have families too feed.
        maybe someone from the University could come out or some Sask Ag and Food folks but generally it's tough.
        or is this just another timeshare meeting where you are trying to sell your "soil enhancers" with some other folks around to give you credibility

Comment

The idea is a good one AgGuy. There are plenty of soil scientists that would be happy to help pass on some knowledge.

Comment

AG_GUY What is your EMAIL address?

Comment

darren.soil@gmail.com The first year may be low budget but then if you want free keychains pens hats and coffee mugs you know were to get them. This is just pure information for the first year. Maybe something better for the next time if this is what guy's want.

Gustgd this is the attitude that costs farmers money year after year, you don't care as long as you get your paycheck. I have nothing to gain i don't work for any ag company. hey gust right from your webpage. You just want the 238.10 for the membership

Download a membership form (in pdf format). Membership is open to farmers ($238.10 plus GST), students ($25 plus GST) and agribusiness ($500 plus GST).

But anyways don't show up gust thats all i got to say.

ANYWAYS guys send me your ideas. I'm going to check around to see the cost of a conference room in the city. There will be no meal supplied but i'll look for a conference room that has a restaurant in the building. I think only 2 or 3 speakers is enough what can one guy really say in 20 minutes give them an hour and they can fill it by however they like, members of there team, farmers who use the product ect. these guys who have these products have had to fight there way to get there products out there and paid for there research themselves. They love to talk. I would like alot of imput i want this to be what you guys can really use.

Comment

Somehow this got off on the wrong foot

I was not trying to squash your idea just saying that it's a crowded marketplace. I just mentioned the wheatgrowers because it's one I feel strongly about, and am their membersh^p chair. If you reread I also mentioned the Sask young Ag Entrepreneurs. Who are also a good group. And have a RIDER trip coming up. July 3rd (just trying to stay current)
                Viterra has their FLAG
                there is the Canola growers
                Barley growers, Pulse growers both provincially and nationally, mustard Oats, herb and spices
                maybe your RM is in APAS.
                NFU puts in a lot of time, I don`t agree with most ideas but they are dedicated
                Agri-trend has a few timeshare meetings a year as well as the Pike group.
                these are just a few I thought of in the last three minutes. All of them have meetings that are compeating for farmers headspace and time

I don`t know you stance on issues but maybe you could fit in anywhere hell you probably pay checkoffs anyway. every group is looking for members and executive. esp someone with different ideas
                good luck on your conference.

Comment

I can`t resist the Wheat Growers have a lunch at the Farm progress show on Friday 19th June RSVP me .
                  Our convention is in Orlando along with the the Ag connect Expo in Jan 12th 15th 2010
                  http://www.agconnect.com/

Comment

Gust let your members know about this. I have just run into so many people with negative attitiudes that somedays i feel they want farmers to fail. It tell guys how to save some money and somebody says it bs it's as if they don't want anyone to try it and succeed. If they wheat growers support the idea of reduced inputs for a better soil and healthier plants to reduce fertilizer and chemicals then i don't mind working togther. And of course anything to do this is sold by somebody but just not me. If a farmer can reduce his input cost by half on a wheat crop then wheat is a good crop in his rotoation that makes money on. .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...