• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

250 Head Cow Herd

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

250 Head Cow Herd

In another thread I noted the NFU response included a comment that we should not have to have a 250 head cow herd just to make a living.

I myself do not have 250 cows but I am steadily increasing my cow herd and I could get to 250 head if I tried. Our farm could keep maybe 300 head if it rained and I quit trying to grow wheat. I think many of us would consider 250 head a reasonable sized herd.

I worked a few numbers on break even cash flows for a 250 head cow herd. Without including the actual numbers I used because it got kind of personal but using reasonable numbers for death loss and open cows, capital purchases/depreciation, living, debt repayment and income taxes I came up with a required break even cash flow price for a weaned calf of $840 dollars based on a 250 head cow herd. Assuming a 575 average weaned weight that gives a fall price of $146 cwt. That is simply break even cash flow, nothing included for ROI.

Weaned calves last fall brought about $250 per calf less than that breakeven.

Now I have a lot of sympathy for the concept that an operation like mine should be able to make a decent living. And weaned prices should be higher this fall than last but that remains to be seen depending on the dollar, feed costs etc.

Kind of leaves me wondering how I even survive. I do have a few gas wells on my place which helps. My wife works which helps a lot. My son helps on the farm for free (although he does burn my gas) and he works off farm to make a living which helps. Prior to this year we were getting some government bucks which helped but that well has gone dry. If you had less debt than me that would help. Debt is really a killer but I think most of have more than we should especially since 2003. Really it looks like if you have any debt you have more than you should have.

The reality is it is nice for anyone to say cow calf producers should be able to make a decent living with 250 cows or for the NFU to say we should make a decent living with even fewer cows but the numbers say something very different.

Exactly so farmers_son, the numbers just do not stack up for primary producers hence the need for change. That is why the NFU document was published highlighting as it does the fact that over the last 20 years profitability has been eroded largely due to packer/retailer concentration.

To highlight but one graph from the document "Alberta 500-600lb feeder steer calves $ per cwt adjusted for inflation 1973 to 2008" shows an average price of $183 per cwt between '73 and '89 yet the prices last fall were below a dollar.
    So the NFU claim that there should not be the need to run huge numbers to sc**** a living is correct. The question is whether more beef producers and other beef organisations will unite to bring about this change. Greater urgency is being added to the situation by the developing drought across the west. What will profitability look like if feed prices double this summer and cattle prices collapse further? I know our grass/feed situation is looking desperate and we are in normally one of the best moisture areas and utilise good grazing management practises. Without rain soon this will get way uglier than 02 or 03 in my area.

Comment

One difficulty is that you can only do so much work yourself before you have to hire help. There's only so much of us to go around, and it gets to where you have to wonder where to stop the expansion maneuvers a lot of us have been taking part in over the past twenty years. The herd can only get so big, and then you need more land, more help, bigger equipment, and all that goes with it, which won't likely leave you with any extra money, and more likely will leave you with less.

Which is why so many are leaving the cattle business.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...