• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancher Wins $232 Million Lottery

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rancher Wins $232 Million Lottery

Oh...if only it could have been me. What would you do if you won it big?

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/090605/K060504AU.html

23-year-old rancher from impoverished area of South Dakota claims $232.1 million Powerball jackpot
    Published: Friday, June 5, 2009 | 3:17 PM ET
    Canadian Press Chet Brokaw, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    PIERRE, S.D. - A 23-year-old rancher whose family has fallen behind in their taxes and recently had a mobile home repossessed has claimed a US$232.1 million Powerball jackpot.

Neal Wanless, who lives on his family's ranch near Mission, South Dakota, bought the winning ticket in the nearby town of Winner late last month.

He was there on a trip to buy livestock feed.

He will take home $88.5 million in a lump sum payment after taxes are deducted.

Wanless says his family has been helped by their community and that he "intends to repay that help many times over."

He said in a statement issued Friday that he plans to continue ranching, albeit on a larger ranch.

He says he recently told his horse, Eleanor, that "It'd be nice if we go for a longer ride than usual on a bigger ranch of our own."

All levels of government have as a priority to reduce CO2 to cool us off because we are burning up! Hope you are as ticked as I am with them and the media. Please try and change their minds. I'd say the ice age has started, cold and dry? Is the rain amounting to anything in Swift Current area?

Comment

Did anyone watch this? http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Earth2100

Comment

fjlip do you think the climate is changing?

Comment

LOL, yes, yes, it's not "global warming" anymore it's "climate change".

Comment

Some cutting edge research over at NASA might explain this climate change we are experiencing and have experienced before.

Copied from smalldeadanimals.com

The Sound Of Settled Science That glowing ball in the sky known to burn human skin through extended exposure can actually influence the climate? A study from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland looking at climate data over the past century has concluded that solar variation has made a significant impact on the Earth’s climate. The report concludes that evidence for climate changes based on solar radiation can be traced back as far as the Industrial Revolution. Past research has shown that the sun goes through eleven year cycles. At the cycle’s peak, solar activity occurring near sunspots is particularly intense, basking the Earth in solar heat. According to Robert Cahalan, a climatologist at the Goddard Space Flight Center, I know. I found it hard to believe, too

Who'd u thunk it?

Comment

How do you make a million at farming, start with 3 million ;-)
              (Used to be 2 million, but inflation)
              The sad part is,I'm not joking!

Comment

greg, that has absolutly every thing to do with it. Anyone ever listen to Tim Ball - He has been calling this for years.

Comment

If there is any changing of the climate, I can not see a pattern on my spot of the planet. In my farming career it's been cold, hot, wet and dry, but not in any defined pattern. 1980, 1988, and 2002 were crop losses due to drought here. 1979, 1980, 1992, 2004 were crop losses due to early or late frosts. 2009 looks to add to the cold list. Anthropogenic Global Warming, the long fancy term for our influence on the planet is NOT settled and there are two sides to the debate. It comes down to whose facts mesh with your personal experience. Who benefits financially from their position? Those that make millions promoting the warming scare are in my opinion NOT believable. We all lived through the global cooling and oil shortage scare in the 70's. Therefore research before you jump on a bandwagon. Be open minded, not lemming like pawns. Here is a blog I found that is interesting...Some facts: 1. more than 31,000 scientists signed a petition rejecting the theory of human caused global warming2. Geologist Dudley Hughes "Carbon Dioxide represents only 4 parts in 10,000, the smallest volume of any major atmospheric gas3. Water vapor is by far the earth's most significant greenhouse gas4. Carbon dioxide is a natural part of the atmosphere - like water vapor. It is not a poison and therefore is not a pollutant5, Phil Chapman, geophysicist and astronautical engineer - the Hadley climate research unit in Britain, the NASA Goddard Institute for space studies in New York, the Christy group at the University of Alabama, and Remote Sensing Systems Inc in California - report that the earth cooled by .07C in 2007.6. The earth heats and cools in 30 year cycles - 1974-1975 was the end of the last cooling cycle. Scientists were concerned at the time that we were going to have another mini ice age reminiscent of 1871. See 1974, Time magazine article titled "Another Ice Age?"7. As for polar bears in the last 15 years the Polar Bear population has grown from 5,000 to 25,000. The polar bear's favorite food, the Ring Seal, has had a population explosion and is currently an abundant 15 million seals. Polar bears are land animals that are capable, if necessary, of swimming up to 30 miles. A picture widely spread on the internet of a polar bear floating stranded on ice was later proved to be a fraud as the whole picture shows land mass just to the left of the bear and not portrayed in the photo. 8. Dr Nir Shariv, a top astrophysicist and associate professor at Hebrew University - Like many other used to think that C02 was the culprit of global warming but not anymore "solar activity explains 20th century global warming"

Comment

Seven days gone in June so far and of these four (4) nights with frost. Thank gawd my garden isn't even up yet.

Don't see any alfalfa in my hay so far...does this mean I sell Brome hay only this year? If we don't get rain soon there won't be ANY hay at all.

Sure a differnt year than any I've experienced for the past seven decades.

Comment

Potatoes in the garden are black, corn is hurt, saskatoons froze, canola laying flat on the ground, some wheat froze in low spots, covered the tomatoes for the third night in a row and haven't had any significant rainfall, sheesh.

Comment

I remember a story about a rancher who won a million dollar lottery. When they asked what he was going to do with the money he replied he would put the winnings towards the farms debt. The reporter asked what he was going to do with the rest to which the rancher replied he would refinance that.

Comment

I love it when someone wins who really deserves it. Once a man from Vancouver won a big 649, and his comment to the news was that he was already a millionaire, so it wouldn't make a lot of difference to his life. So why did he buy a ticket??

Interesting that he bought the ticket in Winner. I bet the town sells lots of tickets from now on! LOL

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.