• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Ideas For A New Alberta Political Party?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Ideas For A New Alberta Political Party?

What ideas or suggestions are out there for a new political party to oust the Progressive Conservatives. How might it be done? What policies would gain voter support? Where would the financing come from? What might such a new party be called? I checked the name "Alberta Party" is already taken.

I have heard some say that the surest way is to simply replace all the sitting Conservative MLAs at constituency level elections. I don't know if that would get rid of the internal rot however.

The last Alberta election was March 2008....gives about three years to get organized. Wish there was some way to make it happen much sooner. Every day those SOBs stay in power is another day we get trampled on.

I would agree with you f_s that this province is a woeful excuse for a democracy. However you can't really blame the politicians when they are elected with overwhelming majorities in nearly every seat. Rather than worrying about a new party name or an election strategy you should be trying to enlighten and educate the population. I don't know if that can be done successfully or if it will require a couple hundred more years of civilization before Albertans learn what a working democracy looks like.

Comment

To be really democratic, I would like to see the party system dissolved. Our elected reps, both Federally and Provincially really have no power in the scheme of things. If they disagree with the leader or caucus, they are out. Time and time again, it is the same, standard verbiage that is spewed by all on just about all issues. The leader dictates, the rest follow. We may as well save some money and only hire only one. And we tote this as democracy.
      Federally, it is worse than ever, and I doubt any party is different.
      Personally, I would like to see you elect the person and let him fight for his region. When they have to, they join forces with certain people or groups, other issues may be with another group. At least they would be accountable to their area....now they just spew party policy......believe me, I have had my share of visits with elected reps.
      The community would elect a certain # in an area, some would stay as provincial, some would move on to federal, but out of the same elected group.....keep communications open and accountable.
      I cannot believe how often someone is chastised or praised on the same issue, depending on what party the chastiser/praiser belongs to.
      A lie becomes excusable, a drunk giving bums a rough time is a chuckle, money in an envelope is “long ago”, depending on your alliances. Even having the term “ opposition” is incredible......what else are they to do but oppose….that’s their job. The hours and wasted time in cutting each other down, is expensive and wasteful. Attack adds are a form of bullying, we would be very disappointed in our children if they did similar. The system does not set a commendable role model....it starts from the top down.
      Many people have quit voting due to not having an effective representative, feeling hopeless that now matter what you do, it will not make a difference. It is time for a major change.....but I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.
      This is the Coles Notes to how I feel, but I am sure you get my drift. Open to ideas as to why a different system wouldn’t work…….please let me know why this one is so good. I am sure I’m missing something.

Comment

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
        Sir Winston Churchill

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

farmers_son: Holy s***, its about time you guys saw the light and the ultimate solution...get rid of these PCers before they destroy this province. Every year they get worse and worse...goofy right-wing legislation, stupid wasteful spending on crap programs and projects, disdain for the prime producers especially in the agricultural sector. Regulations that don't make sense. Extreme secrecy re: government expenses in road maintenance contracting with very poor evaluation of contractors performance.

And then there are the huge losses in the Heritage Trust fund and other government fund investments. We should have their heads on a platter for those debacles.

Comment

C'mon, Wilagro fair is fair - who hasn't lost money on their investments of late??

Comment

Well, I gained on MY investments.

There was absolutely ONE main reason for losses with the Heritage Trust Fund...novice investment in the Stock Market...after all, we now have a Crown Corporation handling these investments.

By the way, these turkeys got their "bonuses" despite the huge loss.

Comment

I could support a party that is led by Daniel ? Smith. She is bright, fiscally conservative, likes less government and uses common sense.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...