• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Whole Buncher

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Whole Buncher

Hi, I know I've asked about this before but can't find the old posts. Does anyone here use this? It's looking like we are going to be short on feed the way the grass is growing this year, or I should say NOT growing! Exactly how much feed can I save again? These units cost over $4000. Can it pay for itself in one year? One guy told me that it's all they need up to -20 C. Is that correct? Sorry for all the questions again, but just trying to figure out how much less feed I could get away with. Also, my only feedstocks this year will be wheat and canola.

Here are a couple of articles on the system and the cows nutritional needs. I don't use a buncher but I think Per does.

http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/Agriview_July08_12

http://www1.foragebeef.ca/$foragebeef/frgebeef.nsf/all/ccf5

Comment

The biggest thing is to test a
      representative sample of your feed.
      Depending on crop/weeds/combine
      settings etc. there can be a huge
      difference in quality of crop
      aftermath. Depending on how much you
      feed a buncher can probably drop your
      winter feed costs. I staggered a bit
      when I saw the $4000 price tag you
      mentioned.

Comment

Yes I used one for the first time this year. Have been using a conventional diamond and then foster buncher for many years. I have never bunched wheat straw or canola straw before, usually we have enough acres of barley to suit our needs. I went to the Jones unit because I wanted to be able to direct seed or at least have that option. The bonuses were that not only did we direct seed our bly stubble this year without any troubles but I gain HP on the combine by not needing the straw or chaff spreader any more. Straw is straw, cows like some varieties and not others. I calculate straw at 4% protein. You could test it and be exact but that is about what it usually comes out at. The chaff depends on the combine and it's operator. For the first several days of each field the cows will do well. I monitor their manure by watching the grain, length of fibers and consistency. When the fibers start to lengthen then they are short of protein. How much you save depends on the cost of protein. I have used pellets of all sorts, tubs, alfalfa and barley. Often the barley is the cheapest option and good alfalfa can be as well. Tubs are the least satisfactory especially when it is really cold. What you save is in the fiber, not hauling bulky feed out of a field and back to a field and not baling or manure spreading. Also it is the least dusty option at harvest time cutting the fire risk down as well as making a fire easy to fight because the straw is in manageable locations. Will it pay for itself in a year? Depends on how many acres you do, how many cows you feed, how tough the winter is, how long you use them, and the cost of the protein. I pencil all my options every year and it comes in at or near the bottom every year. They do require that you own a heavy harrow and make the cows use them up. We had a field near wintering calves that were swath grazing and the calves loved them and cleaned them up well. I'm hooked on bunching but you will have to do the math for your situation. Seems like a lot of $ for what you get but after the winter was over I never regretted it and AJ will recycle that money in Western Canada.

Comment

Oh and wasn't that eager just was going by the house, needed a drink and came into return an email to a landman and knowing that once the bait was set wouldn't take to long for the fishy to take it. lol ( see fishing analogy)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...