• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pea Markets 1999

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pea Markets 1999

The big questions: edible vs feed? yellow vs green? Anyone with insights on where the markets may be going with field peas for 1999?

1999 is a long way out but I will have a crack. Given the strong possibility that world soybean production with remain large (unless weather kicks in), feed pea prices are likely to remain under pressure ($3 to $4/bu). The only positive is that more feed peas will be included in domestic rations - particularly if western Canadian feed wheat/barley supplies tighten as a result of a smaller crop. Edible pea demand will remain good but it is difficult to forecast the $5/bu plus prices most farmers would like to see. The green pea market is smaller but very quality sensitive. As we have seen in the past, a poor quality crop can drive these prices to big premiums over yellows. The story is tell me quality and I'll tell you price. Canada has developed good markets for yellows (China, Cuba, India) albeit at prices around $4/bu. The thing to watch on the yellow pea side will be competition from Assie land. Ascochyta is major probblem in Australia and is impacting their pulse crop production. The impact is to reduce the amount of desi chick peas they have for export. India prefers desi chick peas but will buy yellow peas when the former is not available.

Comment

Canada grew a record 2.7 mln acres in 1998. any thoughts about 1999?

Comment

Typically this is the time of year when contract prices for new crop begin to be offered for special crops. Are there any bids out there?

Comment

Green and yellow peas have had a contract of 4.11/bu this week for next year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.