• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

freezing water

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freezing water

I have a cow/calf in a separate pen that I have to haul water to. Of course this morning the water tub was froze over and I couldn't knock the ice out. I went and got another tub and it had a piece of left over block salt in it from swath grazing. I left the salt in there hoping that it would keep the water from freezing. Has anyone else tried this and/or are there any reasons not to leave the salt in? I will be checking shortly to see how it is/isn't working.

Wouldn't salt water dehydrate her?

Comment

Personally I wouldn't leave the salt in....however, leave them get good and thirsty and then they will clean up what you bring them daily....but another day or so sounds like you won't have to worry about freezing! Good luck!

Comment

Never thought of dehydation. Figured I came up with a solution to an old problem. Thanks for the input!

Comment

You can buy buckets that plug in and keep themselves from freezing. They're usually used by horses, but no reason why a cow can't use it.

We have a dog water bowl that works the same, and it never freezes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...