• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night Time Calving

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Time Calving

Saw this piece on Ropin the Web re night time calving:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/faq8181

We have been feeding late in the day at calving time for many years now and it sure seems to work for us. I still see people feeding calving cows in the morning though. What do you do.

We start calving about April 20th, cows on banked grass so they feed themselves. Check and tag about 3 times a day, otherwise leave cows well alone and let them do what they do best uninterrupted.

Comment

We start calving April 1 on banked grass. Cows will have free choice hay until the grass is growing good and then on to GFs protocol. Also check and tag 3 or 4 times a day and unless we are experiencing winter weather they are not seen at night.

Comment

calving right now,(just getting started)and just about to head out for my last check until probably about 8:00am tomorrow morning. (Lazy, that's why I chose Gelbvieh;-)
        My job is to feed and keep them from ugly weather, so I normally bring in the closest 20-30 at night (into a 40 X 100 hay shed that is closed in other than a doorway)and leave them alone.
        Although I feed mostly AM, if I have a meeting or something with the kids I may feed later, and I find most of the girls calve during the day time. Seem to have very few between the midnight and 6:am scenario. The last week or so has been a real treat as I don't even have to put them in at night.
        When I do miss the occasional "close cow", I am amazed at how rugged these little guys are, and how much cold they can actually handle. (Don't like the shorter ears though.......)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...