• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Poll... Do you implant your calves?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Poll... Do you implant your calves?

Just curious to see how many people here use implants in their calves. It would be interesting to see how prevalent hormone use is at the grassroots level. This question is for everyone, especially the quiet ones.... please speak up. :-)

We don't use them. Never have on heifers, and quit on steer calves a few years ago.

No, never have. Only have 90 head though.

Comment

Not I. We used to for a couple of years in the 80's (Ralgro) when my dad and uncle farmed together.

Comment

No, Never have. I suspect you will find that very, very few ranch raised calves are implanted.

Comment

Never have used implants on my calves. I'm told by the government experts that we might as well implant because the calves will be implanted as soon as they hit the feedlots anyway but I still refuse to use them.

Comment

nope.. try to raise them as natural as we can

Comment

never have.

Comment

I have used implants on calves for years and they work. Hands down implants make me money.

When the calves enter the feedlot we give them another implant and may even give them a third depending on when the calves are slaughtered.

Comment

No. Our direct to plate customers want it that way. Most of the others go to grass and get fat without them. We receive a premium from when we sell to a feedlot because when they implant them the calves respond well because they are not pushed.

Comment

Do not and will not. We raise purebreds, but a number of cull animals are raised for sales off farm, and that is one of the drawing cards.
                    Even though science says it's OK......science has led us down the wrong road a number of times.
                    The other factor is, every time there is a technology advantage, it works for the user the first year or so, but the trend seems to lower the basis in the following years. It then becomes the norm and really only effects the profits of the technology manufacturer.
                    I personally still believe that if all of Canada were to follow the "no-implant" philosophy and labeled as such, along with a "made in Canada" label, MCOOL would not be an issue....Canadian beef would be in high demand in any country!

Comment

So, so far 8 out of 9 do not use them... mmmmm.. Makes you think doesn't it?

I would bet that if you polled the country, the implants don't become commonplace until the calves hit the feedlots. If this is true, there must be a way to capitalize on it and identify these calves to divert to an implant free program, if someone is looking to fill a European market demand.

Comment

No! I agree with the comment that if all Canada went hormone free (as pushed by cow-calf producers via ABP resolutions), we'd have the European market open up to us (plus more)- and the lame excuses for ALMS would be washed down the toilet.

Pharmaceutical companies can't make money off us "common-sense" ranchers, so they lobby to push their products.

Safe or not safe, you want to trust the manufacturer for that kind of information?

VIDO used to stand for "Veterinary" and Infectious Diseaese Organisation. It was changed a few years ago, and now stands for "Vaccines" and Infectious Disease Organization. What road do you thing this name change is taking us down?

Get your pocket-books out boys, the mandatory vaccines are coming, and they won't be cheap.

Comment

We dont use implants...never have...but i am curious...we have made it a policy to not feed PELLETED products to our hoof to plate animals...we ONLY feed 100% barley...we feel there is NO guarantee as to what enters the process when producing pelleted feed products...vs

Comment

vgb, we also follow that protocol. There was another reason but it was so long ago I read the research that it is kinda vague right now. Something about heat extruded feed and metabolizing. I will endeavor to find the study.

Comment

I am also curious...do you find that the 4-H programs in Alta encourage the use of implants??? I only ask this because it is very obvious when my kids go into 4-H in July...that MANY larger BC ranches DO use implants..lol...I have never actually looked to see what the 4-H guidelines or policy are but if memory serves me correct 4-H is silent on the matter...it is very difficult to get THAT kind of bulk on animals in that short a time without the use of implants...so we tend to compete in the lower weight classes from time to time..lol...vs

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...