• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrote a letter today....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrote a letter today....

Carrying on, and inspired by the bank and credit thread, I wrote a letter to Mr.Ritz today. I sent a copy to Michael Ignatieff, Jack Layton, and W Five as well. (A media c.c. never hurts.)

The way I see it, we have a very short window of opportunity to make our voices heard in this country, and it's now or never. We've been ignored to the point of near oblivion now, so we really need to start sticking up for ourselves before it's too late.

This is what I sent....

"Dear Mr. Ritz,

I am writing this letter as a concerned cattle producer. I realize that what I am about to say will sound alarmist and extreme, but believe me, it's based on first hand knowledge that can only be obtained by experiencing these troubles personally. I wouldn't be saying these things if I wasn't so close to the situation.

My husband and I have been cattle producers for the past 33 years, and are watching the results of the hard work of those past years dwindle away to nothing, along with the life’s work of our neighbours and colleagues.

As I write this letter the Canadian cattle industry is being decimated, and no one seems to either notice or care about it. Especially since 2003, things have deteriorated to the point that it is becoming very possible that in a very short time, shorter than most will appreciate, there will not be a viable Canadian cattle industry left. The news is full of stories about how tough times are coming, and we are in a recession, and those stories just make us shake our heads. As cattle producers, since 2003, we have literally been reliving the Great Depression. Cut backs due to hard times? Those happened here over five years ago. They are old news to us. We’ve cut back all we can. There’s no where left to cut, unless you include selling out, like many are doing right now.

For instance, every fall there have traditionally been bred cow sales, where farmers retiring, selling out, or scaling down will sell cows to other producers who take them home to add to their herds. In the past few years, and especially this year, the number of bred cow sales, and dispersals have increased tremendously. Producers have reached the end of their limits, and just can’t carry on any more.

The difference between this year and past ones is something that few are aware of, and should be causing a tremendous amount of concern. This year, rather than going to new homes, the majority of these good bred cows are going to slaughter. Some sales have no one bidding on the cows at all, except packer buyers. Estimates in the business are that at least 75% of the bred cows sold this year have been slaughtered. These are cows that are not coming back, and belonged to producers that are not coming back either. For example, we’ve been told by people in the business that a quarter of Manitoba’s cattle are already gone. We’ve also been told that this is not just a provincial estimate, but a national one.

My fear is that one morning we will wake up and hear a report that Canada no longer has a viable beef business. I am not alone in this fear. There will be insufficient numbers to maintain the large plants that the governments have allowed to dominate our industry, and there will be threats of shutdowns, furthering the decline of our industry. This will either lead to a total collapse, or expensive corporate blackmail/bribery in order to keep the American based multinationals here. They’ve done it before, and they will do it again.

We are on a slippery slope to becoming dependent on other countries for our own domestic food security. This is a dangerous course to take, and for the average consumer will only mean higher costs in the long term. At the current rate, if nothing is done to save our cattle producers, it won’t be long before imported beef will be replacing the majority of domestic beef in the grocery stores.

Cattle producers have had a lot of problems due to our export dependency, but those would pale in comparison to the problems for consumers brought about by import dependency.

The time for addressing this danger is quickly running out. I have attached a copy of the report by the NFU which outlines the problems and possible solutions to the issues raised. They are laid out very clearly and concisely, so I will not go over the points raised in it again. They deserve to be considered seriously.

The bottom line is that the way the cattle industry is being run now is not working. Things need to change in a very significant way in order to guarantee that Canadian consumers in the future will have access to safe locally grown domestic beef. I agree it’s important to protect industries like the auto industry and forestry, but can anything be more important than protecting a nation’s food supply? This can only be achieved by the existence of a viable domestic farm sector. The family farm is the foundation of it all.

Access to food is a fundamental human requirement that is the basis for a secure society. It should be the highest priority of any government."

I know it sounds extreme, but honestly, being polite and conservative hasn't made anyone listen yet has it? I attached the summary of the NFU report to it as well, since it outlines a lot of points that need to be considered.

I would suggest that everyone else who raises cattle in this country should write a similar letter. Send a copy to at least one media outlet, and attach the report. If we all do this, and all contact a different media, maybe someone will listen.

Remember, it's now or never, and I for one want to look back and say I that at least I tried.

Excellent Letter Kato, I would suggest that you send it to your MP and ask that it be forwarded to every Federal MP, and I would further suggest that you send it to every Provincial Ag Minister.
    Not only are we in danger of losing the industry but all the spin off jobs associated with it, and that just might get the attention of some of the MP's.
    I know someone who works as an EA to a federal MP, and have been advised that untl the livestock producers start speaking in one loud voice their concerns will not be addressed.
    The auto industry has a loud voice, their union, and we, as producers can't even agree on the issues we face, so it is no wonder we aren't getting heard.

Comment

Very well written Kato....may we forward to local papers and to MLA's/MPs and opposition parties?

Comment

Kato this is a good letter. I would only comment on one thought that may not be 100 percent accurate:

Just because the packers are buying up good breeding stock - does not mean that these cows are going to slaughter!

Someone will have to buy up (or obtain control of) all the land that is being put up for sale by family farms and fed up producers.

Who has the money to buy the land? The multinational corporations that's who. The very companies that reaped enormous profits after the initial discovery of BSE in North America. Their pockets are deep, and income is not limited to beef or meat sales - in some cases.

Keep buying their chemicals and GM seeds etc. and they will be able to buy up our land when the time comes. Or like in Brazil and South Africa, the government can lease the land to foreign countries like China and Korea, so they can raise their own food (on foreign soil).

Is their total monopoly of food production a foregone conclusion? NO. However, having governments act to supposedly help industry, but turn around and enslave landowners to an OIE agenda doesn't help.

Comment

If anyone wants to quote my letter, feel free, I don't mind at all.

But what would be better would be if everyone wrote one of their own, in their own words, and expressed their own concerns. A group with common troubles and concerns for our collective future would get more attention. One voice in the wilderness doesn't go far, but if there are enough of us telling the same story, then maybe just maybe someone will notice. The thing is that the time for polite requests is passed now, and we need to speak up and defend ourselves vigorously before it's too late.

To address your concerns Kathy, the fact that bred cows are going to slaughter came to me from friends in the trucking business who are hauling the cows to the plants directly from bred cow sales, and from cattle buyers we know who are arranging the sales. It's a fact that's relatively unknown except to those who are participating in it. It's a fact that shows the depth of the pessimism about our industry. Maybe it's not so bad in Alberta, but it's practically criminal what is happening in Manitoba. It's enough to make you cry to see dispersal sales made up of really good cows who's owners spent years trying to develop a good herd, only to see them gone for hamburger.

With the state of politics in Canada at the moment, there has never been a time when our odds of being listened to have been better. The opposition parties need to know just how badly the government has dropped the ball. And the government should be reminded that there will come a day that maybe they won't be able to take for granted that just because we've voted Conservative in the past, that we will always vote Conservative in the future. They are taking us for granted in a big way, and that is unacceptable.

Comment

Good stuff Kato, we need lots more producers to follow your lead and get active.
            I don't think Kathy's comment was true in any way, shape or form. The packer/processors have no interest in owning land or cow herds - absolutely not. Why would they given the high cost/low return offered by land ownership devoted to cow calf production? What they have now is a far better deal - a raw product(live cattle) that they can bring into their plants at or below the cost of production with the Government subsidizing the cattle producers to remain in business using tax payers money. Yeah, the packers may seem like a Goliath to an individual farmer or rancher but collectively the wealth owned by cow/calf producers in Canada in terms of land, cattle and machinery makes the "wealthy packers" look like they have only pocket change to work with. As primary producers we need to realise this fundamental truth because if it spurs us to act collectively we could be in the driving seat.

The bred cow sales in Alberta certainly started off poorly with the majority going to the packers at 35-40 cents but they seemed to go a little higher in December. Some of the reports I saw later on were showing cows making $800 and bred heifers over $1000 which seemed plenty money to me. Maybe I'm just cheap but I bought a small package of reasonable quality 2-4 calvers, dispersal cows for $485. Not that I really needed more but I just don't think I can go wrong with cows at that money.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Now just think what we might do if everyone who comes to this site would write a letter, and tell at least one other person to do the same thing. Then tell everyone who writes one to get one more person, and so on and so on. Bigger changes have come about through smaller beginnings.

Every letter should be sent to these three at a minimum.

Ritz.G@parl.gc.ca
              Ignatieff.M@parl.gc.ca
              Layton.J@parl.gc.ca

Then C.C. to whatever other MP's and MLA's they wish. Possibly the most important C.C. would be to a media outlet. Newspaper, TV, radio, whatever. When government officials get emails, they look to see who else got a copy, and seeing media on that list will get their attention. You can bet on it.

It's media attention that gets political attention, to say nothing of the attention of the general public.

The consumers of Canada have a lot to lose in this as well, and they deserve to know what's going on with their future food security.

Comment

Kato: That is a good letter. I am told these letters do make a difference. MPs often get isolated and out of touch and need to be made aware of what is really going on.

Your letter will help.

I always enjoy your posts here on Agri-ville.

Not so sure of the NFU report though. It is a wee bit of BS but as it raises alarm bells I guess it is useful. Our politicians are not above feeding us a bit of BS themselves and should appreciate reading the NFU document as
                it is done by a real expert.

Comment

Yes, it was prepared by a real expert f_s. Would you care to share which parts you think are BS or do you condemn the whole document as BS?

Comment

In my opinion, it matters not whether we subscribe to the views of the NFU, ABP or any organization, what really matters is that all of these groups voice their opinions on behalf of the producers of this country.
                    We need every voice we can get speaking out on issues that are putting us in crisis.
                    ABP has failed the cow/calf producer while many of us sat back and allowed it to happen. If we agree with the views of any organization we should let our politicians know about it. Drawing attention to the issues facing the livestock industry should be the focus of every producer and organization affected by the situation we are in.

I am looking at bull sale ads and when I read some of them one would think the industry is on the top of it's game, vs going down hill fast !!! Every producer needs to tell the facts, not sugar coat everything with BS !!!

Comment

I was quite impressed with the NFU analysis. We've been in the business long enough to have personally seen the changes they have noted in it, and agree with their interpretation of how they affected things now.

I remember when we first started out, we were thinking, "You know, if we had 50 cows, we could really make a good living." Well, 50 cows came, and for some reason it wasn't enough to live on. The next goal was 75 cows. Same result. On we went to 100 cows. Still not getting ahead. So now we're closer to 200, and have pretty much reached the limit that our land base will allow. We've maxed out our resources, and it's still not enough. To expand the cows now would probably require hired help as well, and we all know how much spare change there is around these days for that.

So where do we go from here? The number of cows it takes to stay afloat these days literally does not allow time for off farm income. We also run about 250 background calves a year, and when they work out, it makes a big difference. Lately though, they are not always working out, and our appetite for risk is very low. Losing money on feeders is simply not an option any more.

If I went to work, then we'd have to hire someone to take my place, and that puts us nowhere ahead. There is only so much work a person can physically do, and we're not getting any younger.

I know we're not alone in this predicament, and it's reached the point where something's got to give.

If the NFU report can generate some constructive discussions, then it has served it's purpose. Those discussions need to take place. Sure some of the solutions are what some would call outside the box, but that's the kind of thinking we need right now. We need a shakeup in attitude because what worked in the past just isn't working any more.

Comment

kato, your latest post says volumes about the industry that the average person, particularly those brought up in an urban setting, just do not understand.
                        The message you provided should be required reading for ever politician, both rural and urban, from municipal to federal. I think many of them feel that running a cattle operation is a part time job, with plenty of extra time to devote to some sort of value added project.
                        For many of us, the land base we have lends itself best to forage and pasture production, and we have utilized that land to raise cattle.
                        I have seen most of my closest neighbours EXIT THE INDUSTRY over the past three or four years. All that are left in this area now are the large cow/calf operations, small feedlots and a few 150 head operations.
                        The age of the farmers isn't getting any younger, and the incentive for the younger generation to take over the farm just isn't there.
                        We will have a lot of land sitting idle when the current crop of producers decides it is time to stop losing money in the cattle business.

Comment

We are starting to take this NFU analysis out on the road, setting up producer meetings across the country as well as arranging meetings with politicians etc. I was part of a delegation that met with our local MLA just before Christmas and it was a positive meeting. He did not dispute any of the findings of the report but expressed the difficulty the Provincial Government has in addressing the problems as packer monopolies, captive supply etc are far bigger problems than the AB Gov. can solve on their own even if they wanted to. We are trying to highlight to them that with Obama soon to be president the timing may be very good for collective action on these issues. Obamas rural policy looks very similar to some of the suggested solutions proposed by the NFU.
                          One of his major policy pillars is stated thus
                          "Prevent Anticompetitive Behavior Against Family Farms: Obama is a strong supporter of a packer ban. When meatpackers own livestock they can manipulate prices and discriminate against independent farmers. Obama and Biden will strengthen anti-monopoly laws and strengthen producer protections to ensure independent farmers have fair access to markets, control over their production decisions, and transparency in prices."

Now that is the kind of action we need - lets put some pressure on our elected officials and try to get them to follow suit.

Comment

grassfarmer, have you and your group considered making presentations to Agricultural Service Boards?
                            Many ASB's are made up of both elected and appointed members, and making presentations to these organizations would not only get the NFU position out to the agricultural community in municipalities across the province, but you would receive valuable feedback from the producers who make up the majority of the membership of these boards.
                            If you are interested in pursuing this, I suggest that you contact Agricultural Fieldmen in your area, and request an appointment on their ASB agenda.

Comment

Burn and run American style. Old George did some burning up of the economy when he saw that he was on his way out and the American plants are doing the same. How many more of us will be tempted by the 60 or 70 cent cow prices that some are predicting to come this spring. We are coming up to a period of being desperately short of fat cattle to keep the lines at Cargill and Tyson rolling and it seems that the cows are still making the big boys enough money that they are going to be willing to spend and extra 20 or 30 cents a pound to own them.

Or do they like the fact that they are finishing off our cow herd before they pull the pin. What is that phrase that they use in war for burning things up before the aggressor leaves the battlefield?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...