• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

drought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drought

Even though we have had a little rain it is still awful dry here in central Alberta. Our provincial government has given us some cash programs which are really welcome even though they are not all that lucrative! I can see a real wreck coming because even if we can get our cattle through the drought this summer there is going to be a major shortage of feed this winter. And heaven help us if we get a tough winter instead of the balmy ones we've had the last few years. I can see a lot of cows on the market this fall and I don't know where they'll find a home. I don't think I'd want to be breeding heifers for sale this fall!

Here NW of Edmonton, between grasshoppers and drought there will be no hay here....cows are out on the hayfields. We have forage insurance....and will only get half back because the cows are out there. So the decision to let the cows starve or hope to get some kind of hay was not hard to make. I will agree with you the auction markets are already getting smart...they are splitting the pairs and only paying meat prices for good replacements...and $1.80 if you are lucky for the 300 wt calves....those $1500 pairs are now bringing $1200....not great for those of us that will have to buy feed at $70/ton .
    Do not get me on the government stuff....had our application in on May 2/01 and are still waiting

Comment

Come to think of it Shelly, I had my application in real early and I haven't heard anything from them either. I think Seventy dollars a ton for feed might be pretty optomistic! I have my cows out on my hayland too but I'd planned on it last year as I was expanding like everybody else. I do have some sub-irrigated land rented and hopefully it will produce enough hay. If you don't mind me asking, what does forage insurance cost?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...