• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barley Prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barley Prices

Barley is selling for three bucks at the bin in my area. If it stays dry it has nowhere to go but up. I wonder how high it will go until it becomes more sensible to bring in corn from the States. Some corn is already moving into the feedlots at Lethbridge but the hog farmers pretty well have to have barley. This could be a good year for grain producers...well if they can get a decent crop! I guess if it doesn't rain it won't matter what price barley is!

What happens to the quality of the beef when they make the switch to corn instead of barley? Can you taste the difference?

How long does it take the animal to make the switch from barley to corn and how much weight do they gain/lose in the process?

Comment

The only difference is between corn and barley fed beef is a little yellower fat. Some would argue that barley fed tastes better (maybe its just the Albertan in me) but I will let other comment that have traveled more in the US.

I am not a nutritionist but I think feed lots would have to be carefull how quickly they put into the ration(similar in energy to feed wheat). Once an animal is on a corn ration, it would be difficult to switch back to barley. When I talk to the trade, consistency of supply will be one of the major factors preventing many feed lots from switching. Enough corn would have to be bought to put together regular unit trains of corn to guarantee consistent access.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...