• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is dry in Alberta

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is dry in Alberta

It is so dry in Alberta that two trees had a fight over a stray dog yesterday!

75% done seeding, with spotty germination because of poor seed bed moisture.

We had a dry week last week here in the UK but it is raining again now stopping everything.
    Mud turned to concrete nearly overnight
    I was busy spraying, winter canola in full flower, had some MBC for sclerotina,winter wheat, fungicide and shortener, spring wheat and barley, herbicide and manganese. Winter barley has awns visible, which is about 2 weeks late.
    It is not a pretty sight, uneven patchy crops, yields must suffer. I would guess we will be at least 500tonnes down on last year when we harvested just over 1500 tons
    Some of our neighbours are even worse and there is alot of land not sown.
    Millers are already questioning whether our wheats will have the quality they require.
    Prices are rising, feed wheat is £85 for Aug01 low of £57 Aug00.
    Lets us try to keep the prices rising and hope we can make more money from poor crops.
    I 'ave seen it before as I'm sure you have too. Bin busters are rarely bank fillers.
    Lets make sure we get the best price for what we do harvest!!

Regards Ian

Comment

It is awfully dry here in central Alberta! I sure am getting sick of feeding cows. A lot of grain was seeded early and is up and doing pretty well but we need some moisture pretty soon. We actually got about 1/2 inch of snow last night. It looks like a lot more wheat was planted in this area than is normally done, about the same amount of barley and a lot less canola. Most of the people growing canola are mainly doing it to clean up weed problems and not thinking too much about a big profit.

Comment

For central Sask, over the weekend, did they get any significant precip?

I see that the southern wheat belt got rain, wheat markets are down big time!

Goes to show, what happens out here means nothing to the major world markets, especially when we have a secret non-transparent pricer who refuses publically to transmit our info to a world that is hungry to get it.

The CWB sure hurts us "designated area" grain farmers when shortages are looming.

But I guess the CWB is only here really to protect domestic supply, and grain trade deals that benefit the domestic industrial complex!

When Will The CWB Directors Finally Get It?

Comment

Tom4cwb; We finished seeding May 10, peas are up wheat coming up patchy canola laying in the dust. Rain has been back ordered at Camrose for several weeks and has still not arrived in any amount over a 1/10 th of an inch at a time. We are so dry that we have to order our postage stamps pre licked. If it don't rain we can lay everyone off at the CWB because there will be nothing to do this year. That way they can get use to not having a job next year when we get rid of them all together. I have never seen it this dry at Camrose for such a long lenght of time. Chas

Comment

Is the market for hay picking up in Alberta? I have large round grass bales for sale. Also large round oat and barley straw.

Comment

Vader: I heard large Hay bales at Ponoka Alta. were bring $76 last week and Settler Alta was $60 for 1100 lb hay bales. Have not heard prices on straw bales. Cows with calves at foot were going for $1400 to $1880 at Clyde Alta on Tuesday, someone is still optimistic, theres no grass and some are running out of water also. We need rain yesterday. Chas

Comment

Where are you located Vader? Lots of demand for hay here?

Chas. - Any sense of who the cow calf buyers are? I heard today that cow calf pair prices are coming down. I suspect that something is going to have to give in the south part of Alberta with lack of dugwater more of an issue than pasture - a good rain would help pasture but it won't give cows drinking water.

Comment

Light showers this morning in northeast Alberta, but has only amounted to 1/10 of an inch. Has anyone else gotten more. Is there anywhere on the internet that you could find rainfall amounts for other parts of the prairies?

Comment

We had a shower in Edmonton last night. I don't know how much but it seemed like the most we've had in quite awhile (which really doesn't say much!). There was still a bit of moisture by the curb this morning. I don't know where you can find recent precipitation levels. I'll try and look into that.

PFRA has a good "drought watch" site with maps, if you want to see up to May 23. Be sure to scroll down because there is more than one map on the page (the bottom one has accumulated precipitation).
                    http://www.agr.ca/pfra/drought.htm

If you want to see similar info for the US you can look at the US site. Try looking at the Palmer Drought Index. It's a map that is updated weekly with the last update May 19th.

Comment

Charliep: Cattle buyers buying most of the expensive ones, do not know where they were going but buyers said it was going to rain for sure somewhere but didn't give a time limit or how much. We got anywhere between a 1/10 to half an inch in the Camrose area last night. I got 3/10 and the humidity has gone from 20 percent to 90 per cent today, maybe it will rain some more now. Chas

Comment

We got about 1/2 inch of rain on the twenty fourth but it has been hot and windy since. If you have any hay you can pretty well name your price! The hay crop is going to be real ugly whether it rains now or not. I think most cattle men better be thinking about feeding a lot more barley and straw this winter(providing there is any to be had!). And I would suspect the price will be pretty steep! The cattle market just keeps rolling along but I can see a real wreck coming if it doesn't start raining real soon. A lot of grain is up in my area but it is sort of patchy, especially the later stuff. Haven't seen any canola up yet.

Comment

Was out looking at the crop at our farm yesterday. We're trying to figure out whether we should spray or not. There was only two things growing in the fields - wheat and patches of wild oats. Not any other weed of any kind growing anywhere.

We've been thinking that maybe we should spot spray for wild oats (the patches really stand out) and then spray the whole field for broadleaves if we get a shower later. Anybody got any really brilliant ideas about what to do?

Lee

Comment

Sprayed some wild oats out of the pea crop where the avadex didn't work because of being to dry. and would like to spray wildoats out of round up canola but wind won't go down below 50 kmph. No other weeds coming yet. Chas

Comment

Its very dry here too. I'm just south of Swift Current. However the pulse crops are looking great right now. They just seem to hang in there. I, like you chas am spraying wild oats in peas and wondering whether or not I should continue. We,ve had only 3/10's of an inch of rain here since April 1

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.