• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Crop Feed Barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Crop Feed Barley

For those of you who have taken futures courses but have never gotten into the market, the feed barley market this spring is likely to provide a good opportunity to test the water so to speak. As long as it as dry as it is in Alberta, feed barley prices are likely to stay firm to move higher. As soon as it rains/prospects are good for reasonable feedgrain yields this fall, prices will come down. You need to have pricing targets/actions in mind to capture opportunities.

A couple of reasons I highlight this now.

1) If you don't have a futures account open, you need to take some action to get the account set up.

2) I would encourage aggressive sales of feed grains this fall as a way to pay bills. Other crops (peas and canola) will likely require some more patience/leeway in marketing into the winter.

3) New crop feed barley basis (delivered feedlot southern Alberta) is currently $5 to $6/t under Dec. futures. Assuming Southern Alta. stays dry, my thoughts are this basis will narrow to zero to /- $2/t based on tight supplies close by these feedlots/continued expensive trucking costs - similar to this past winter. Just to highlight, wide basis = sell futures/narrow basis = sign deferred delivery contract.

4) If I was a barley user, I would be using the above basis to lock in delivery commitments for next fall.

The final thing to hightlight to have a strategy going into the trade. Pick your entry point (eg. sell Dec. western barley futures $135 or better) but also have your strategy if it stays dry and the market moves higher - 100 % hedger in which case you will make the margin calls/carry the position or selective hedger in which case you will have stops in place (eg. keep a stop at $139/t under the assumption that breaking through here would indicate a pretty bullish situation). An piece from an experienced futures trader friend of mine, PLAN YOUR TRADE/TRADE YOUR PLAN.

I don't know anything about the futures market Charlie but I can tell you barley is going up this year. It is so damned dry in most of the province that a lot of land is going to be needed for silage just to feed the cow herd. A cold dry spring is murder on hay and we've pretty well ate up any supplies that were carried over. A lot of cows will be eating a lot more barley and straw this coming winter, especially if it doesn't rain. Don't be too quick to lock in a price as it will probably be a sellers market!

Comment

My level of respect/concern about dry conditions in the west half of the prairies is growing with each passing day. Based on the Statscan acreage estimate and rain in the next couple of weeks, we still have opportunity for a more than adequate sized barley crop - particularly if the CWB feed barley export program is small again. The issues this year will remain distribution of barley production (none in S.Alta. because of the drought) and higher than normal acres used as pasture, greenfeed, silage, etc. My approach remains to play this market like I don't know exactly what is going to happen but rather stage sales (grower)/purchases (user) in as the market moves higher.

Just as a note, what steps are you taking/are you seeing your neighbors take this year in S. Alta. in the face of drought and potential feed shortages? Are more than normal cow herds moving north to go on rented pasture? My sources tell me that top quality cow calf pairs are over $1800/pair with even the bottom fetching $1200/unit.

Comment

Charlie:
        In the area I live in(Red Deer) things are not real bad yet. We have always gotten rain to some degree. I don't know why the cattle market has been able to stay so high. To the east of us and the south it is bad. I do believe more people in this area are intending to grow more silage as the hay supply is pretty poor. Also a lot of hay around here goes for export. I personally have enough pasture for my cows even if it is dry but I'm sure doing some thinking about shipping the yearlings! I have some sub-irrigated hayland that actually grows more if it is dry.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...