• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSE Class Action Suit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSE Class Action Suit

Mad cow class action against federal government obtains green light from Quebec court

17.jun.07

from a press release

MONTREAL -- In a landmark decision released late Friday, June 15, 2007 Quebec Superior Court Justice Richard Wagner granted authorization to a billion dollar class action suit, ruling that the mad cow class action on behalf of some 20,000 Quebec cattle farmers against the Federal Government will proceed to trial. This is an important step in obtaining compensation for farmers following Canada's mad cow scandal involving over 100,000 Canadian cattle farmers, including Quebec's 20,000 cattle farmers.

In April 2005, class action claims were filed cooperatively by a team of lawyers in the courts of Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta on behalf of all commercial farmers of cattle resident in Canada as of May 20, 2003 (the date at which Canada's International cattle and beef exports were frozen). The claims allege that negligence on the part of the Federal Government caused the BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) crisis in Canada and the corresponding loss of income to Canadian cattle producers. The statements of claim may be viewed at:

www.bseclassaction.ca

The class action lawsuits allege that the BSE crisis, the closing of the U.S. and other international borders to Canadian cattle and beef, and the loss of billions of dollars by the Canadian cattle industry were the result of gross incompetence on the part of the Canadian government.

Statistics Canada confirmed in May of this year that Canadian cattle producers have lost more than $9B in cash receipts since the BSE crisis began in May of 2003, an amount which has been growing daily. To view this report, please visit www.bseclassaction.ca

Quebec Attorney Gilles Gareau and Ontario's Cameron Pallett, co-counsel in the Quebec action commented, "We applaud this decision as an important milestone for all of Quebec's and Canada's cattle producers. We are confident it will lead to eventual redress for hard-working farmers who have suffered extensive damage and whose livelihoods have been compromised. It is a view held by many experts that the BSE crisis would never have happened if the Federal Government had not been asleep at the wheel. We would recommend that all potential members of the class retain their financial records going as far back as possible, as these records may be critical in determining the financial damages they are entitled to recover.

According to documents filed in Quebec Court, government officials jeopardized the safety of the Canadian food supply in failing to inform the public that they had allowed 80 British cattle that were supposed to be in a 'monitoring program', to enter the human and animal food chain in Canada. These same government officials' own risk analysis indicated that there was a 95% chance that 6 or more of these animals had BSE."
    Although findings of liability against the Federal Government remain to be made at trial, Mr. Gareau and his colleagues from across the country find this a tremendous development for all Canadian cattle producers and urge them to visit the BSE class action website to register and for more information www.bseclassaction.ca
    BSE is an incurable neurological disease of cattle that is transmitted when healthy cattle eat the remains of infected cattle or other ruminants. The claim alleges that the federal government was negligent in enacting, or failing to enact in a timely fashion, regulations with respect to permissible ingredients in cattle feed. It is also alleged that the federal government negligently allowed more than 80 British cattle to enter the human and animal food chain, and failed to warn cattle producers of the dangers posed by this release of BSE into the cattle food chain when the government realized what they had done.

CBC had a representative on the news this morning talking about this. What I read between the lines is that what they'd really like is for the government to step up and take responsibility and settle out of court so to speak. He made the comment that Stephen Harper is from Alberta, as are the biggest number of cattle producers, and as their representative he had an obligation to them.

Now wouldn't that be something? A precedent perhaps eh?

I really don't like lawsuits and things like that, but I wonder if it would help the cause if everyone signed up for this? If there were 100,000 names representing every single cattle producer, would the government pay attention? I'm thinking that if the numbers are low, they will take it as an indication of us being happy with the status quo.

There's that old apathy word coming up again.........

Comment

Canadian ranchers and producers suing their government-- I can't believe it...When US cattlemen and producers did that down here in the States they were called every name in the book by Canadians!!! LOL

Comment

Note: The lawsuit is against the government, not American cattlemen.

Comment

Maybe I should expand on that a bit. This lawsuit is not a back door approach to close the border to a legitimate trading partner who is of the identical BSE risk status as we are.

However this turns out, it will not affect the incomes of American cattle producers. That's a pretty big difference.

Besides, I don't think we called R-Calf every name in the book either. There's lots of names left in storage if the need arises. ;-)

Comment

If you read the lawsuit-- it was for the same reasons-- your government (Canadian) allowing importing high risk materials from a foreign country (Britain)...

Sounds like HYPOCRISY to me... And a possible preview of what could happen in the US if USDA is allowed to put the Packer bucks ahead of US consumer and US cattle herd safety.....

Remember R-CALF didn't sue Canadians- they sued the US government and USDA for their illegal/misguided changing of the BSE rules just for the Multinational Packers....

Comment

What would be the point of any Canadian rancher responding to old Willowcreek. His agenda and perception is never going to falter. One of the reasons that I kind of ironically like the old fool.

This law suit will not hurt the American rancher Willowcreek, and will not put a lot of dollars in the pockets of Cargill and Tyson like yours is doing.

It has nothing to do with hypocrisy as the folks behind it are not the ones addicted to the American consumer.

I know that you will not understand this Willowcreek, but we are taking the feds to task because they knew of the potential problems and bowed to the packers when it came to not only MBM from Britain, but SRM removal as well. Now you will say that old Kaiser does not believe in transmission but again your mind will be too bent to realise that Cam Pallette and I discuss metals and the potential of metals passed in MBM more than we do transmissible misfolded prions. In fact - both of agree that it does not matter. What matters is that Canadian producers were left in the cold due to pressure from the multinationals who were and are continuing to make money from SRM etc. And then got jumped on by the goofs at Rcalf who think that they have the packers by the balls while the packers, and namely Cargill and Tyson are laughing all the way to the bank and even encouraging their little dim witted Rcalf puppets to press on with their ridiculous cherry picked science.

Comment

Kato: I really enjoyed your remark "Besides, I don't think we called R-Calf every name in the book either. There's lots of names left in storage if the need arises." Started my day off with a chuckle. Thanks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...