• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying American

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying American

Anyone regularly go down into the States to purchase inputs or equipment. I would like to know what can cross the boarder and what can't (ie. fertilizer, chemical, equipment) And what hoops have to be jumped through to get it here.

Nitrogen prices sure where cheaper in the northern states this spring and if the case holds, I would like to Import some this fall.

Also I've been shopping around for a new zeroturn lawn mower, and I found identical Toros on the Canadian and American Home Depot sites. The prices...Canadian store $3899 vs. American store $2499. I think I might start planning a trip to Billings or Minot.

You cannot bring back farm chemicals. Ivomec is allowed, you must pay GST, which you can claim back. It is 150 U.S./5 litre jug. Machinery is allowed, no problem. The U.S. customs want the serial# for their records, so stop there first. Fertilizer is allowed to come north. Annhydrous must be in tanks that are Canadian inspected and certified. Dry fertilizer isn't a problem at all if you are hauling it yourself. You will most likely have to pay in advance. If you want say $50,000, or whatever amount you will pay first and then haul home until you reach the amount that was paid for. There are a lot of farmers that are going to haul down oats and bring back 46-00 or 11-51, it is $200/ton cheaper in the U.S.

Comment

Barleyman, just curious. You mentioned "hauling your own" fertilizer. Does that mean you have to use your own truck or can you use a custom trucker as long as you are not hauling it back to Canada for resale?

Comment

I haul my own fertillizer if you know what i mean

Comment

Does that make you "full of it"

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.