• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Support Poll

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support Poll

Just wondering how many folks on this board still support the policy of allowing Cargill, Tyson and their little whipping boy and possible partner (if you believe the rumors)Nillsen Bros, to take over the entire beef industry in this country. Our local feeder co-op went from over 300 members to a current 60. Should we assume that each of those 60 became huge players or suspect that the number of cattle contolled or owned by the packers has risen astoundingly since BSEconomics allowed them.

Should ABP finally quit worrying about finding a manager who can be led to think like the board does about supporting the so called efficiency and perfection of our industry with Cargill and Tyson at the helm, or should they allow some open thought about how we can actaully start working to save the cattle industry for our children.

Yes Cargill and Tyson will allow - (read those words carefully) WILL ALLOW a bit of profit so they don't have to own a whole bunch of cows. And those who do not agree with me will find ways within that "Allowance" to survive and maybe even make a few gains. However it is time to quit fooling ourselves about the consumer holding back the price of beef. The truth is - Cargill and Tyson use beef price to control competition. Our consumer would pay more, but that would do nothing for the idea of oligopoly.

The response to this thread is kind of typical of our "industry's" problem and the ABP problem - lots of people likely agree with you but can't quite be bothered to write or speak up. So the status quo remains and nothing will be done to resolve our problems. As someone said to me recently "Apathy leads to catastrophe!!"

Comment

Or how about from now on we just hear the positives about what your endeavours and no more pissing and moaning about Nilson's,Cargill, Tyson or whatever-for crying out loud I can listen to that in any coffee shop in western Canada-you've whipped that dog long enough-time to bury it and go forward. It's no different selling an idea than selling a tractor-if the John Deere guy can only run down Case/IH I tend to tune him out. The big boys aren't perfect but they aren't leaving anytime soon either so lets hear the plans and positives of Celtic Beef from now on. Just calling them as I see them.Not a naysayer but I am a realist-what's done is done as far as BSE we can cry about it forever or move forward.

Comment

Call it pissing and moaning and whining all you like Cory - the truth is that this is reality and ignoring it will only make it worse.

How will we ever ignite change if we ignore the problem?

If you don't like the coffee shop, pass it by Cory. There are more around the corner that talk about how to work within the system.

Lots of good positive threads here on Agriville as well, but keep trying to continually make those who speak out look like whiners or hypocryites if that is what makes you feel good.

Comment

Your missing my point-I think your diluting your energies by going on about Cargill for half of every post. Your preaching to the converted on that one-accentuate the positives of what Randy Kaiser has to offer instead of going on about their perceived evils. Not telling this to make me 'feel good' I honestly think it will help your business. Sooner or later it comes down to discussing the 'business' and it's time to leave the rhetoric behind. Even your local preacher lays off the devil when the collection plate is being passed.

Comment

Please don't tell me that you are trying to help my business Cory. You have no idea how much energy I have for marketing raising stock and battling the BS thrown at our industry by the mutinational packers - all with one half of my brain on idle.

You should try it some time. Don't be afraid to agree - if that is truly what you feel. Just because your life focus is a bit different with Hockey, Rodeo, semen sales and whateve else you do with your time - don't try to tell me what is best with mine.

Like I said before old boy - don't read my posts if they frustrate you, but I will be damned if I am going to take advice from you on how to run my business and/or voice my opinion.

Have a great day Mr. Wilson

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.