• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leptin TT Bulls

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leptin TT Bulls

Wondering if anyone is testing for this gene and if I can get more dollars for my calves? Read a bunch of stuff from the Cattlelands guy sounds good but is anyone paying extra? I am asking because I bought a real good charolais bull and he was tested as a TT. The breeder I bought him from tests all bulls - sounds good just wondering if anyone was actually using the technology or if its a fad.

Leptin TT is a mutation in the leptin gene. Leptin basically controls overall fat deposition in the body. CC cattle tend to be leaner, TT fatter, CT in the middle.
    TT is being sold as a means to improve marbling. It does not increase marbling seperately from other fat deposition. In other words, it may increase marbling (note MAY) but it will also increase backfat and reduce yield.
    Leptin explains only a portion of the variation seen in marbling and does not segregate marbling from other fat. If you want to do that you are way better off to look at carcass EPD or use the within herd ultrasound scan information.
    As far as being paid a premium for TT cattle, if you can get a premium go for it.

Comment

Thanks Sean. However, from what I have read it sounds like there is more to it then what you are saying. I saw results were the TT steers finished up to 30 days quicker then CC steers. On average it is over 14 days. Thats significant in terms of profitability. Like I said I didnt go looking for a TT bull but I think I found darn good bull who also a TT. I think I will retain ownership on some of these calves I got from my bull and see how they do this year. I just cant help but think if these things are out there why arent you using them to make a better product for the consumer. Isnt that our goal as cattle producers?

Comment

I don't doubt that the cattle should finish quicker as they lay on fat more readily (TT vs CC). Just be aware that this is not a silver bullet for marbling, and also that if they are managed with CT or CC cattle, they are likely to be overfinished (low yielding) if they are not skimmed off the pen early. I don't know of annyone that is paying a premium for these cattle at this point in time. The best way to get that premium may be to finish them yourself.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.