• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High-speed train

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High-speed train

Just got done watching a sound bite on the proposed high-speed train between Calgary and Edmonton. They are spending $1 million on a feasibility study for the $1 billion plus project.

The rail line will have to go somewhere and I am not sure but do believe that the old rail lines will not be able to accomodate these high speed trains. So, in doing all of this feasibility, does anyone know if they have bothered to talk with the public and/or the landowners that may be impacted by the whole thing?

If the proposed AltaLink line is creating as much controversy as it is, what makes them think that a rail line will be any better accepted?

Seems to me we always undertake "feasibility" studies and never bother to start the discussions with landowners etc. at the same time. What about any environmental impacts, loss of development potential etc.?

Might be a good idea for those who travel the roads frequently, but those who might be affected the most i.e. landowners who will have to abide by the lines going through their land are never really considered. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the discussions went on concurrently so that when the time came to move forward, it wouldn't be so much of a struggle?

I think this is a pipe dream but this new gov hasnt done a dam thing yet so I supose they have to do somethink that makes it look like they have a pulse.
    The question was what will mr stelmac be called fast eddy or honest eddy or steady eddy I will vote for Steady eddy because he is doing same as last gov just sitting on his behind letting the oil buiz **** and plunder and spending all the while telling us pesants it cant go on forever but doing nothing to change it.
    Copper you had better get in here and let us in on what is in store for us tird kickers out here in the boonies.

Comment

Unless there is something happening in both Edmonton and Calgary that isn't public info, I don't know why this train is being considered.
      Firstly, this train has to leave from somewhere, which means there will need to be parking in both Calgary and Edmonton for passengers that need to drive to the depot, station or whatever it is going to be called. The infrastructure necessary isn't in place in either Edmonton or Calgary, so I don't think it will be feasible, and maybe this is what the government is trying to find out.

I think that the Stelmach government is doing a lot of things it said it would do, for one thing there is a lot more highway construction and repair happening across the province which is a good thing for everyone who drives in Alberta.

Horse, I can't look into a crystal ball and see what is going to happen in rural Alberta.

Comment

Apparently there is land purchased for just such a depot and parking, copper, in both cities. The feasibility study being done by the provincial government is about $1 million. Of course if this goes anywhere at all (pun not intended) then the federal government will likely be asked to step in with funding and they will have to do their own feasibility study.

These projects have a way of starting up when times are good and seldom do they take a look at what the consequences are when times aren't so good.

For those of us that live away from both of these cities i.e. the rural areas, we would have to drive quite a distance in some cases just to get on the train. Like with everything else, it is just easier to get into the car and drive.

Personally, I don't see how they can get any additional parking and a terminal built when there isn't the labor available to do it and land etc. is at a premium in both cities.

Comment

This is another make work project for friends of the PC party. Remember a couple of years ago Ralf, hired his buddy Rodd L, back from Ontario private sector, to study bullet train to Ft Mac, from Nisku, spent a mill or so that time on feas study. Wanted a straight shot, no curves in rail, all the way. Remember getting a phone call survey. Told them Raillink already has rail to Mac. that nobody will invest money in to maintain. CN has since bought the line back. Guess they didn't know that, at any rate Alberta money well spent if Tories are able to line their pockets!!!!!! If oil companies want a bullet train, let them buy it and run it, they do have a bit of extra cash to spread around it seems, these days. Totally stupid concept, if public money involved. Balloons being floated to try to distract the public from everyday government problems.

Comment

Why do they need a high-speed train between Edmonton and Calgary? When they had the flying jitney before, nobody rode it. It used to stop at Red Deer and most of the time few people got off or got on and the cars were not full. The whole thing was a money loser. I don't know if it is still running or not.

If Ralph was still around, he would still use Air Alberta as you can smoke on it...no doubt the present gov't would not use a high-speed link either.

Burbert is right, it is a diversion so we don't think about high rental rates and other more important considerations that the gov't should be managing.

Comment

Copper I had the feeling you had the scoop on what the Stelmac gov would do once in power or mabey you were like the rest of us and just had a hope list, but I just thought it would be nice to hear agriculture mentioned once in a while you know like if someone was listining and mabey cared but I guess we are like the working poor in town that cant afford rent! Sure SUCKS ot be us!

Comment

I honestly think that the Premier is trying to throw out some sort of options that will pacify Calgary and Edmonton, as the mayors of both cities seem to spend most of their waking hours crying about how little money they are getting from the province. As far as rural Alberta, and the agriculture sector, I haven't heard many suggestions coming from the Ag industry on what the industry feels that the government can do to help improve things.

Each commodity has their own wish list I am sure.

Comment

Horse, one of agriculture's biggest problems is that there are so many voices out there all asking for their separate bits, that our collective message gets diluted.

Unless and until agriculture as a whole can sit down and develop some sort of common goals (believe it or not each sector has some goals in common) we will get no where.

Comment

Cakadu did we do that or did gov policy devide us? I agree we need to get together but that will never hapen so where to from here.
                    Do you have any sugestions.

Comment

Actually, I believe that we can find solutions. Each group wants to see solutions that favor them and there is nothing wrong with that - we all want to improve and be sustainable over the long term.

I'll bet if we asked any of the various groups out there to list their top 5 issues and/or challenges we would find similarities. Based on the common issues, we could then look for solutions that would enable everyone to have a "win" to some degree. It is important to bear in mind that win/win sometimes does not mean we all walk away with everything we want. Compromise is inevitable.

I'll throw out an example that will likely get some guffaws at the screen when you read it. For example, the mass produced beef that goes through the system is hardly able to be differentiated - charolais, hereford, angus - we have no idea what ends up on those plastic trays at the grocery store. Having said that, there is still a great deal of pride that goes into what any producer grows. Isn't the name of the game to get the best price possible for the end product?

Comment

If geting the best price is our goal we have failed miserably or we are barking up the wrong tree as agri is a failure at best.

Comment

Most farmers hate/envy their neighbours, that is why it has always been soooo easy to divide and conquer. Screw farmers everywhich way, that is the motto of Agri business!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I honestly don't think most farmers either hate or envy their neighbours. In the community I live, most farmers are too busy working to make ends meet on their own operations to indulge in hate of any kind, and if their neighbour needs a helping hand they are there in a flash. We do have one neighbour that doesn't get along with any of his neighbours but that is a personality thing not envy I am sure.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.