• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB director news release

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB director appeals for protection of risk management for farmers
    April 18, 2007
    Saskatoon – CWB farmer-elected director Ian McCreary today appealed to the Commons Standing Committee on Agriculture to protect farmers’ risk management by ensuring legislative support for farmer-run marketing organizations to continue to work effectively.
    Effective risk management requires tools that give producers power in agricultural markets and the grain trade – not just government income-support programs, McCreary told the committee, currently touring Western Canada.
    “I am not talking more money here,” said McCreary, who farms near Bladworth, Saskatchewan. “I am not asking for more government programs. What is needed is a commitment that marketing organizations like the CWB – that establish some balance in the market and provide grain producers with solid price risk management options – be enabled to exercise the powers that make them effective.”
    Risk management is crucial for farmers because of the extraordinary production and market-based risks they face, he said. “The economic or commercial environment in which grain producers find themselves is one that can be best characterized as a power struggle, where you have a limited number of very large, powerful entities one the one hand and farmers on the other. Unfortunately, grain producers are in an environment where they exercise relatively little control over the factors that affect the profitability and sustainability of their enterprises.”
    McCreary cited high input costs, consolidation of the grain handling industry, captivity to railways, the power of a handful of major grain merchants in the international marketplace and the influence of foreign governments in setting the rules of the global grain trade. He said the CWB, with its current powers as a single seller of wheat and barley, is a positive force in such an environment, one that can give Prairie farmers a lever to exercise influence over their environment and manage their business risk.
    As examples, he cited CWB efforts for better railway service and rates, support for producer car facilities as an alternative to the existing grain handling system, market diversification and branding of western Canadian wheat and barley as a consistent, high-quality product.
    McCreary also pointed to pricing tools available through the CWB to help farmers manage business risk, such as price pooling and –more recently – unique options that enable farmers to customize their pricing strategies if they need more income certainty and cash flow.
    He called on the committee to establish how, in the absence of its single-desk powers, the CWB could continue to effectively provide the same risk management tools. He asked what the committee will do to ensure the government provides equivalent risk-management offerings to farmers if it proceeds with its policy for a “voluntary” CWB.
    “It is my hope that, in trying to do something real to help the farmers of Western Canada better manage their risk, the government may revisit its position (on the CWB).” McCreary’s presentation has been posted on the CWB Web site at www.cwb.ca.
    Controlled by western Canadian farmers, the CWB is the largest wheat and barley marketer in the world. One of Canada’s biggest exporters, the Winnipeg-based organization sells grain to over 70 countries and returns all sales revenue, less marketing costs, to farmers.

Controlled by western Canadian farmers? Did I miss something or did 48.4% choose marketing choice and 13.8% want no CWB, for a combined total of 62.2%. 37.8% voted for the status quo. Mr. McCreary the majority of western Canadian farmers, the ones that you claim to work for and control the CWB are informing you and your fellow board members what they want. Please respect democracy.

What do you expect from a guy that lives in a quonset???If the CWB would get off their a$$,quit bawling and demonstrate their prowess they would have even more support.Any private company would `die` for their contact lists..NOT?

Comment

By jove, McDreary finally said something I can agree with"

Unfortunately, grain producers are in an environment where they exercise relatively little control over the factors that affect the profitability and sustainability of their enterprises.”

Organics have to get rid of the big wheat Board doberman chewing up the profitability and sustainability of organic farms with their greedy buyback programs that Ontario can avoid.

Away! Get away! Go market in Borat's home town.

Parsley

Comment

If McCreary was really serious about providing risk management for producers we wouldn't be in the current debate. While he tote's new pricing options under the CWB, what he fails to recognize is that they don't provide the risk management that producers need. That is because the CWB unlike private grain companies is unprepared to accept any risk. So I don't have competitive bidding for my crop, I have to accept basis risk and there is no transparency in the process. If the CWB isn't prepared to address those issues why should they expect any sympathy for those who might loose pooling options.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.