• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lame cow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lame cow

Had a cow calf tonight on her own. I wasn't there but she must have pinched a nerve or something as she got up on three legs and the right hind leg looked as though it was tied to her belly. She stood for a couple of minutes and then fell over. Looking for some remedy or drug to help get her back on her feet. The cow would be about 8 years old and in very good shape. The calf was big but I wouldn't think that she had trouble having it...

She will probably come along quickly on her own over the next couple of days.Shot of Azium wouldn't hurt.Just make sure she has lots of room so she doesn't lay on the calf.

Comment

What are you doing helping a fellow producer in need NORTH OF THE 49TH. Oldtimer?????

This would not have been an Oxen cross calf would it grassfarmer? Hope your cow is all right. Oldtimer's advice sounds reasonable. I don't think he has ulterior motives this time!!!!!!

Comment

Hey Kaiser you need glasses!

Comment

Oh my Goodness grassfarmer -- you're right. It's not Oldtimer, it's his evil cousin by the Kreek who is giving his best advice. Even more strange - maybe the implosion of Rcalf has left these boys feeling like thay need to be re-baptised in some good Canadian water.

Comment

I would book an eye appointment first chance you can Randy.

Hopefully you can read the phone book! j/k

Comment

Hey Kaiser you still need glasses - read who wrote the original post!

Comment

ya well!!!!! I hit me head on the truck door yesterday. Sorry grainfarmer - I hope you didn't take my comment about the Oxen the same as old grassframer would have.
                Your'e getting in my head there Cattleman - I can't figure out who the hell you are???????? By the way I got my glasses at Canadian Tire.

Comment

you all need to give your head a shake. be it whether we are north or south of 49 th we should try to help or give the best advice we feel we can to a cattle producer , we are all in this thing together. we should all try and fiqure out how to better the north american market instead of fighting amoung ourselves.

Comment

Amen to that hayburner !!! By the way, hopefully the cow is up and allright, that seemed to be the main focus of the post !!!

Comment

Hayburner: I ditto Coppertop's amen. Excellent comment.

Comment

And who is the one to invite those left after the Rcalf implosion to join farmers_son and our band of merry producer owners to buy Tyson foods at Brooks?????

Of course we need to work together hayburner.

Comment

Randy, we need to work together and be respectful of each other at the same time.

That includes comments from both sides of the 49th !!!!

Comment

grainfarmer- Hope your cow came out of it as fast as one I had yesterday...I don't do much watching of the cows or heifers- couple times a day...Only had 20 heifers but they all been coming without every seeing any born for the first 17- all with about 65-80lb birthweights with no problem...

Went out yesterday morning and had a bull calf out of a heifer(hereford-angus F1 X) that weighed 103 lbs-- heifer could get up- but was pretty wobbly...Calf wouldn't stand as his front ankles were too weak- tubed him with cholostrum in the morning and again in the afternoon- than gave him a tube of that Nursemate in the evening to make him hungry...

Went out this morning and he's standing there sucking on mom-(even tryed to buck around her once) and shes moving plumb fine now....

Birthweigth must be coming from the hereford side- as the only other big calf out of a heifer was a 89lber out another baldy cow.....

Comment

Had to go save a life this early morning. Even us so called "spring calvers" get caught with our pants down by Mother Nature from time to time. Couple days of east wind and cool temps have disrupted the minds of a few of our money earners. One calved too close to a frozen over slough and the poor little bugar needed an hour in a big sink full of warm water to bring him around. Another one was not quite smart enough to get that first suck before the wind got through her hide and into her noodle. She went back out to see mom last night, but I found her laying in the snow this early morning. Both are in the garage for the night and will go see mommas in a couple of hours. Got a pretty good feeling the bull calf is going to sire some darn good E.U. feeders calves.

Sure looking forward to getting you a brand new bull before you retire completely Willowcreek. Oh shoot, now I forget if it was Willowcreek or WillowKreek who posted last. OH WELL.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.