• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off Farm Employment...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Farm Employment...

FS got me thinking (can you smell the smoke?).
    Many producers both young and old have off farm employment. For some this relegates the farm to the status of hobby, for others it is a cash flow issue, for others the farm is an investment that may or may not be funded through other income. I think their are both serious and non serious ag producers in every category.
    What got me thinking was the question about the opportunity cost of off farm employment. In essence, does off farm employment take focus off the farm business to the detriment of that business?
    This is a pretty personal question but for myself the honest answer is yes and no.
    Should I/Could I profitably spend more time farming, yes. My working history has certainly shown that time and effort invested wisely pays off in the long run. Conversely, off farm employment has greatly enhanced my contact base and professional skills that I need to operate a modern agricultural enterprise. My off farm work in agriculture has greatly benefited our farm operation with the best being yet to come.
    For myself, at my age the farm must be a paying proposition, it is also a long term investment, no different than the other businesses that I operate or work within. I know that "tractor time/cow time" is enjoyable but it is not the most effective use of my time.
    I would be interested to hear other comments, thoughts? I think there may be a difference for others as I am self employed full time and then some in agriculture. I certainly appreciate the skills that others bring to the table and often the best farmers I have met are the ones that come from outside industries with no preconceived notions and keen business minds.

“What got me thinking was the question about the opportunity cost of off farm employment. In essence, does off farm employment take focus off the farm business to the detriment of that business?"

I have pondered your question at some length, started to type out a few replies, deleted them and started again.

In all seriousness I think you need to ask yourself if I died tomorrow how do I wish I had lived my life. Or put another way; flip a coin, heads you spend more time working off farm, tails you farm full time. While the coin is in mid air answer for your self if you hope it lands heads or tails up. Because the only opportunity cost that counts is the opportunity cost of your own short life and believe me life is darn short.

If your dream is to farm then I would suggest that you farm. You will find ways to make it happen. If you find your real happiness working off the farm then I think that is what you should do. You will be able to put pencil to paper and show how you are better off.

I have tried to think of an analogy I could make and have come up with one that some might think is really way out there. I think there is a comparison to be made between mothers working out of the home and farmers seeking off farm work. I can remember a time when most mothers stayed at home to raise the children and most farmers farmed full time. Now the opposite is the norm, for whatever reason. However I am seeing some mothers questioning the logic of entering the workplace and even if some segments of society do not value raising children and making a loving home for the family, they do. Yes, they might not go to as many movies or drive a new car, even have to make do with a 1200 sq. foot house instead of 2400 sq. foot house, however they have placed their values elsewhere and have chosen to invest in a different future. They have chosen a different path for their life. They may or may not have as early a retirement as if the mother had worked but if they have lived their life well they will be richer on the day they die.

I think it is the same on a farm. It is not a matter of numbers or needing the money. Really. There are places in this world where you can farm. Might not be in the community you were raised in, you might have to move. In my opinion it is a sad mistake to work off farm most of your life to have a farm at your death. Just like children quickly grow and move on, your own youth evaporates before your eyes and health is a gift that is easily lost. You might not be able to farm tomorrow and if you wish you were farming today then by all means you should do it, today. And if you flip the coin and wish you could spend more time at your off farm job then take what spare time you have and spend it with your family as they will be more important to you. Let someone else take care of that land and cattle.

Comment

Excellent post farmers_son.

Smoke comin’ out of some ears here too!

It’s easy to discount the cost of spending time away from our families. Taking family for granted while working for “things” is an easy trap to fall into. If we spend all our time away from family just to become rich, how much more likely will it be that our family will also grow to value money more than us?

I guess it all depends on how you define “rich”.

Comment

I have farmed all my life , what is better I sure dont know but as for more family time I think that is a falacy as I may technely be at home but out in the field or with the cattle and working till dark just to keep up, it seems that it sure would be nice to have a weekend off or a 5 o,clock quiting time But if I had it all to do over again I may do the same thing.
        Yhe trouble is you only get 1 chance so hope you make the right one for you.

Comment

Really enjoying this topic. I am a widower of two years now with a 12 year old child. Before that we took care of my wife at home with hired health care myself and my child. During this time I could have worked off farm as before I took over the farm I worked the oilfield in the Middle east. We have sacrificed perhaps a higher standard of living because of this, but do I begrudge it. No Way, The time I spend with my child now are more precious than ever, and yes times are tough, but we always find a way to make ends meet. She travels with me in the tractor or helps me with the cattle or any job that I usually do. She will help me in the mill and comes on deliveries with me, so if you always want to keep up with the Joneses than an off farm job is required, but you will miss out on a lot of changes in your family and farm.

Comment

This topic is near and dear to my heart so I am really enjoying the dialogue. My off farm work in agriculture is an extremely exciting and satisfying part of my life and my life's work. So it is with my on farm work as well.
            There are never quite enough hours in the day. I still struggle with the opportunity cost between my two lines of work. While my consulting practice may cost the farm, the farm also costs my consulting practice. I enjoy both immensely, so I live with the consequences.
            I appreciate the posts regarding length and quality of life. As we were reviewing our farm structure one day and sorting out why our farm looks the way it does, my father had a very profound statement. He said, "I have pretty much done exactly what I wanted to in life." I think if I can say that in time, life will have been pretty good.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...