• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oie, what a day

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oie, what a day

With calving season in full swing, I decided to take a couple hours away to go look at a Welsh Black bull today.

When I got back, one of my older blazes had calved out and her calf was busy looking for some chow. Meanwhile, one of my new blacks was in the process of calving, but had broke her water bag all over the other calf. She had hooves coming but as far as she was concerned, she was done calving. Had to pull her calf before she realized that she wasn't done. Easy pull (had she not taken to the other calf, she would have popped it out on her own) right up until she decided to sit down and take a rest. Then she finished calving sitting down. Never saw that before.

The neighbor had come with me, and as we were having some lunch, his wife called and said one of his Simm heifers was having trouble. Went over to his place and had the hardest pull of my life over there. 140 lb calf, 70 lbs of which I think was head, from a supposed easy calving Red Angus bull. Calf probably should have been a C-section.

And just a couple hours ago, I had 2 cows calving. First one popped her calf out, and the second idiot decided that was _maybe_ her calf and she should go have a couple looks. Not quite as bad a gong show, as the second cow finally realized she wasn't done and laid down to finish the job.

<chuckle> In all my years of pen calving, I can only remember one time that I had a cow take another ones calf. Now two in a 24 hour period. I see I've got another 6 or 8 cows coming in today or tomorrow. Lol, anyone wanna start a pool on how many calf swaps there will be before its all over?

Rod

I should add that I feel sorrier for my neighbor. He's got quite a few heifers bred to that RA bull.

I told him I was busy for the rest of the spring...

Rod

Comment

Not trying to tell you what to do here Rod but - Had a cow wanting to mother a calf last year out on the graas in the spring (wink). I tried a couple of times to git her away from the cow who already was happy with her baby. After a couple of tries - I just left her alone and let nature take care of the situation. Came back in an hour or so and everyone had everything sorted out.

As for the red angus bull and the cow with the 140 pound calf - sounds like about four swinging side beeves to me.

Comment

We have cows try to take another's calf instead of calving their own every year. But I do not recall ever having two do that in one day.

We had one calf that everybody wanted for their own, not just one cow but a half dozen. And the calf was glad to oblige one and all. We finally had to separate the real mother and her calf as it was causing way too much mayhem.

We also have cows that come down to the barn to calve every year. Kind of handy when the weather is real bad but a nuisance other times. We have a lot of cows that we can help right out in the field, especially if they are lying down. I just carry the chains in my pocket when I am checking and deal with the issue right then and there. Have got into problems doing that however if the heifer decides to stop cooperating part way through.

I keep track and for the most part we never see the cows calve and just walk through them every couple of hours to count how many new ones we have. But there is always those times when if it is not one thing it is two. I used a different heifer bull this year and will find out in a few days if I picked the right bull or not.

As long as the weather stay as nice as it was yesterday it is all good.

Comment

Rod- One of the reasons I like calving out on the grass- if one trys stealing a calf, momma can take it a mile from that cow and be alone with it...

When I used to lot calve I had problems with the same thing...

You Canucks keep those snowstorms and cold weather up north for a while longer- so far this has been one of the nicest calving weather years we've had for just south of the 49th...

Comment

Listen you old Tree, don't you try working your way into our hearts with your nicey nice post.

Comment

And by the way Old boy, what are you talking about GRASS. I sure the hell don't see any out of my window - all I see is white. Are you saying that you American's have some kind of weather advantage over us Canuckleheads?

Comment

Randy,

I would say that is an unfair advantage WillowCreek has over us Canadian guys.

Comment

So Chris - what would you say we do about that. Should we go to our government and wine and cry like Rcalf does or should we use our Canadian weather to our advantge? I think we tell our new retail customers in Billings that our Branded Canadian product is better than Old Willow's USDA stamped product because our cattle eat more to survive our winters and lay down a nice triple A finish; and give em a taste!!!!!!

Comment

Randy,

I think the same way as you. Instead of whining about it, lets use it too our advantage. Show them people in Billings that we have a damn good product, taste, color, texture.... etc.

Comment

Story down here is that those long Canadian winters and all that winter feeding is the reason the Canucks cut corners on expense and fed so much MBM product/processed feed back to their cattle and created the Mad Cow epidemic that has now engulfed the country...

So if what your saying is true about your bad winter circumstances than the story might just be right...

Comment

Willowcreek,

What a crock of b/s that story of yours is. You guys in the US have fed jsut as much of that waste as we have up here. And the thing is all of that stuff is NOT going to be allowed in anything after July 12,2007. Is this happening in the US?

Comment

You keep working on your stories Oldtimer cause that's all you got. When we start shipping Celtic Beef into your high end stores, the hillbillies that believe your Rcalf jargon will already be wondering where the hell Rcalf went. How's the final countdown to destruction going Old Boy? By the way, our main focus is going to be the E.U. but my personal mission is to have a shop in Billings selling my beef. Used to go down to Billings on a regular basis and found it to be a wonderful town. Folks that I met just loved to take our canucklebucks. I look forward to taking some of them back.

Comment

"After a couple of tries - I just left her alone and let nature take care of the situation. Came back in an hour or so and everyone had everything sorted out."

I probably should have left the first pair alone to fight it out, but I was concerned about the amount of leg showing on the second cow. Besides, the kids were due home soon, and all that was left in the fridge for our dinner was their left over pizza from the night before. The neighbor and I were starving, and we wanted to beat the kids to the fridge

Rod

Comment

And besides, you have better luck than me. The first time I left two mommas to work things out, the first calf ended up with a pair of mothers, and the second calf was left abandoned in the trees (hmmmmm, come to think of it, it was in May :P)

Rod

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.