• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bright Sun, Warm Earth.Coincidence??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright Sun, Warm Earth.Coincidence??

Bright sun, warm Earth. Coincidence?
    National Post
    Mon 12 Mar 2007
    Page: A15
    Section: Issues
    Byline: Lorne Gunter

Mars's ice caps are melting, and Jupiter is developing a second giant red spot, an enormous hurricane-like storm.

The existing Great Red Spot is 300 years old and twice the size of Earth. The new storm -- Red Spot Jr. -- is thought to be the result of a sudden warming on our solar system's largest planet. Dr. Imke de Pater of Berkeley University says some parts of Jupiter are now as much as six degrees Celsius warmer than just a few years ago.

Neptune's moon, Triton, studied in 1989 after the unmanned Voyageur probe flew past, seems to have heated up significantly since then. Parts of its frozen nitrogen surface have begun melting and turning to gas, making Triton's atmosphere denser.

Even Pluto has warmed slightly in recent years, if you can call -230C instead of -233C "warmer."

And I swear, I haven't left my SUV idling on any of those planets or moons. Honest, I haven't.

Is there something all these heavenly bodies have in common? Some one thing they all share that could be causing them to warm in unison?

Hmmm, is there some giant, self-luminous ball of burning gas with a mass more than 300,000 times that of Earth and a core temperature of more than 20-million degrees Celsius, that for the past century or more has been unusually active and powerful? Is there something like that around which they all revolve that could be causing this multi-globe warming? Naw!

They must all have congested commuter highways, coal-fired power plants and oilsands developments that are releasing large amounts of carbon dioxide into their atmospheres, too.

A decade ago, when global warming and Kyoto was just beginning to capture public attention, I published a quiz elsewhere that bears repeating in our current hyper-charged environmental debate: Quick, which is usually warmer, day or night?

And what is typically the warmest part of the day? The warmest time of year?
    Finally, which are generally warmer: cloudy or cloudless days?

If you answered day, afternoon, summer and cloudless you may be well on your way to understanding what is causing global warming.

For the past century and a half, Earth has been warming. Coincidentally (or perhaps not so coincidentally), during that same period, our sun has been brightening, becoming more active, sending out more radiation.

Habibullah Abdussamatov of the Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in St. Petersburg, Sami Solanki of the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany, Sallie Baliunas and Willie Soon of the Solar and Stellar Physics Division of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and a host of the rest of the world's leading solar scientists are all convinced that the warming of recent years is not unusual and that nearly all the warming in the past 150 years can be attributed to the sun.

Solar scientists from Iowa to Siberia have overlaid the last several warm periods on our planet with known variations in our sun's activity and found, according to Mr. Solanki, "a near-perfect match."

Mr. Abdussamatov concedes manmade gasses may have made "a small contribution to the warming in recent years, but it cannot compete with the increase in solar irradiance."
    Mr. Soon showed as long ago as the mid-1990s that the depth of the Little Ice Age -- the coldest period in the northern hemisphere in the past 1,500 years -- corresponded perfectly with a solar event known as the Maunder Minimum. For nearly seven decades there was virtually no sunspot activity.

Our sun was particular quiet. And for those 60 to 70 years, the northern half of our globe, at least, was in a deep freeze.

Is it so hard to believe then that the sun could be causing our current warming, too?
    At the very least, the fact that so many prominent scientists have legitimate, logical objections to the current global warming orthodoxy means there is no "consensus" among scientists about the cause.

Here's a prediction: The sun's current active phase is expected to wane in 20 to 40 years, at which time the planet will begin cooling. Since that is when most of the greenhouse emission reductions proposed by the UN and others are slated to come into full effect, the "greens" will see that cooling and claim, "See, we warned you and made you take action, and look, we saved the planet."

Of course, they will have had nothing to do with it.

I don't think that science is Gunter's forte. Some of his theories are "way out there" IMHO.

Comment

Gunter is reporting the evidence presented by others!!

Or was this just a knee jerk reaction to anything I post...wilagrow.

Your comment could also be directed at Suzki whos credentails are genentics.

Comment

I've read Gunter's columns for years...it has nothing to do with knee-jerk reaction.

Comment

Willie...gonna present Suzuki`s credentials??

Comment

Oh, I think Suzuki's credentials speak for themselves...that is not to say that I agree with everything that he presents. There ARE scientists who disagree with him vehemently. I shall keep on reading various information sources and form my own opinions. I don't have a closed mind.

Comment

You do when it comes to Gunter!!
              I repeat (he is a journalist) he was reporting on the findings of OTHERS.

Comment

Fine...from what I read of Gunter, he writes of OTHER opinions that closely gibe or agree with his own. He is a rightard but occasionally will criticize the CONservative establishment. He seems to have mellowed a bit over the years.

Comment

Every writer from the left or the right is guilty of of having opinions! duh!

Comment

You seem a bit testy...better switch to de-caf.

Comment

So what do you call dismissing the argument in someone’s column because of who they are, rather than what their currently reporting? Where is the factual/logical error?

Comment

Wilagrow...in all your read'en have you ever learned why is it that the sun, that is on fire, using up Oxygen, never seems to burn out. Is it using a renewable fuel resourse? You would think it would grow weaker and dimer...wouldn't you?

Comment

Weaker and dimmer would be a bigger problem. No oxygen, hydrogen fusion.

Comment

ivbinconned: Since de sun she is making de shine from atomic fusion of de hydrogen, she don't need no stinkin' oxygen and she is making de hydrogen into de helium...eventuallly it will come to an end loooonnnngggg after we are kaput. Before it does it will swell up huge-like and de earth and duh udder planets will get severely "sunburned" as it goes through its final throes.

I like global warming as my old arthritic bones need it. The earth has gone through a multitude of heating and cooling periods and will continue to do so with or with out our interference.

Keep readin'...education is wonderful, even for us old fellers.

Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...