• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heifers only???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heifers only???

Here's a question for you knowlegable people out there. My cow herd is not large but so far all I'm getting is heifers born. 10 in a row. Not a bull calf to be had. We got a new yearling bull last spring. Ever heard of a bull throwing only heifers before? Even the 2 sets of twins we've had were all heifers. Just luck of the draw?

Oldtimers say a heifer year means a wet year !!!

Comment

Had a Galloway bull that did that for a few years. We sold him after two breeding seasons and had one bull calf from at least 40 matings. He threw a few more bull calves for the fellow who bought him, but not many. Never did much investigating, and we have a number of "normal" females in our herd out of the bull?????????

Comment

I quess we are in for a dry year south of Edmonton....started calving beginning of Feb and out of 55 calves (45 left)we are at least 80% bulls so far. Last year was pretty much 50/50, but it seemed to be runs of bulls and then a run of mostly heifers for a while.

Comment

Last year I had all heifers until I reached the halfway mark, ended up with two more heifers than bull calves.
          I am not too concerned if we have lots of moisture in the spring and summer but I would like at least some nice sunny days during calving !!

Comment

We had that problem last year. Got an unreal amount of heifers right off the bat. I think it was like 39 heifers out of the first 48 calves!
            The boy was going nuts as heifers don't sell all that well in the fall, but I tried to be philosophical and say well "What the hell... we haven't had to pull or help any!"
            In the big picture, things turned around and we got a slug of bulls later on so it came out fairly even. I believe the final count on 140 cows was 63 bulls/ 77 heifers!
            I told him well" God is trying to tell you something....time to expand!"

....unfortunately....he took me up on that! 180 this year!

Comment

I think that heifers have a shorter gestation than steers do. I find most years at the start of my calving that their are more heifer calves and as I get into it further the longer gestation bull calves appear and the numbers start to even out.

Seems to happen here every year.

Comment

They say that its not genetic, however I think "they" are missing something. My last herd sire delivered me 80% heifer calves over 3 years. During those 3 years, he was mated over 150 times, so if he was going to balance out, I think he would have. The last year he was in use, I got 7 bull calves and 44 heifers.

Rod

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...