• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What adversley Affects Marketing by the CWB?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What adversley Affects Marketing by the CWB?

We've all listened to the CWB talking to farmers about things that "adversley affect marketing by the CWB" . Sometimes it's hard to know what that means.

One thing we know that does NOT adversley affect marketing by the CWB is all that wheat and barley that is bought from the farmer by the big feed mills and then exported as manufactured feed. Millions and millions of bushels. If it did affect marketing by the CWB, they would deny the big mills all those export licenses. Wouldn't they?

Parsley

Another thing we know does not adversley affect marketing by the CWB is all the grain that is sold by farmers in provinces ouside the Designated area. Ontario. Quebec. BC.

If it had a negative effect on CWB marketing, those farmers would be denied export licenses. Wouldn't they?

Parsley

Comment

We know that all the grain sold by pedigreed seed growers does not adversley affect the CWB or they would discontinue issuing them export licenses.

Wouldn't they?

Parsley

Comment

I just read where the CWB legal department has written that neither volume nor price adversley affect marketing by the CWB.

Wheww!

Parsley

Comment

Before we could judge whether or not something could adversely affect marketing of the board we would first have to define what board marketing was and its objective.

Comment

Vader, I should have defined the CWB's object! It's done clearly in one sentence in the CWB Act. Quoted:

"Object
            5. (1) The Corporation is incorporated with the object of marketing in an orderly manner, in interprovincial and export trade, grain grown in Canada."

You'll notice Vader, the Act covers every province, and grain grown in those provinces.

So we have to find out what orderly marketing is. We know volume or price does not have an adverse affect on marketing by the Board, because the CWB legal counsel stated in a letter that they do not.

If we try to eliminate what obviously DOESN'T have an effect on Board marketing, maybe we can figure out what DOES have an effect on Board marketing.

Parsley

Comment

When the Cryston-Wyndell area of BC was still in the designated area, the CWB let them out of the monopoly by issuing no-cost export liceses to all the produceers in that area. When the CWB legislation was changed a few years ago, the BC region was formerly voted out of the Designated area, by Parliament.

So we know that taking a whole region out of the DA does not adversley affect marketing by the CWB!... The roof didn't fall when the region severed.

Chas and Tom4CWB,here's one for you....... the darn whole province of Alberta could be taken right out of the monopoly if the CWB would agree to grant no-cost export licenses for every farmer in Alberta. OR Parliament could remove Alberta from the Designated Area, just like Cryston-Wyndell. You'd operate just like ONtario if you up and manufactured an Alberta Wheat Board. Now that is an interesting concept!

Ontario is out of the monopoly because they are granted no-cost export licenses and because they are not in the DA, but Ontario still comes under CWB regulation. They need licenses, but they are not under the monopoly.

Remember, the way the CWB keeps the monopoly over Designated Area producers is THEY DENY US LICENSES! deny deny deny.

The CWB could issue Manitoba farmers no-cost export licenses tommorow, and it would not adversley affect marketing by the CWB. And the CWB legal Counsel letter backs up that statement.

So what are the rules for getting interprovincial and export CWB licenses?
              Parsley

Comment

Tom4CWB, I hope you don't mind me quoting you from another thread:

"I asked why API was buying 90%non-board when they are a mill and ethanol plant that is not exempt from CWB marketing. I was told if I didn't like what the CWB did to take them to Court. However this was not the point, I was merely trying to get the CWB to explain if the exemption policy can be justified by the CWB legislation. ", says Tom4CWB.

Obviously, all this API grain not going through the CWB doesn't adversley effect marketing by the Board does it?

Another deal.

So how does one get an export license, or an interprovincial license? What goes to make the deal?

Parsley

Comment

All organic growers were recently denied licenses by the CWB, so presumably they must affect the CWB's legislated mandate of "orderly marketing". But how?

The question all you producer could ask is......how come organic production, with less than 1% of the production, is a threat to CWB marketing, when all the feed mill wheat and barley is not? It is massive volumes compared to organic. Or registered seed growers.

Could it be that big corporations more smoothly know how to attain licenses?

The "unsophisticated" producer could perhaps learn how to better 'coax' the CWB for a license.

Any suggestions how to better facilitate CWB license-issuing for those organic boys?

Parsley

Comment

Get a good lawyer Parsley. Take up a collection like Stockwell did to pay him.

Comment

Parsley,

Mr. Ritter is very confident that the CWB is bullet proof, and can stand any court challenge.

I see the Alberta Barley Commission just was refused leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada, so they just knocked off a $3 million project and got ith thrown in the trash can.

Too bad for us, it was our money that was wasted, all round!

Will the Supreme Court ever hear a CWB case again, why are they so afraid of the CWB?

Comment

Aren't you just a little interested in how licenses are granted or denied by the CWB, Chas, or do you think they just drop from the sky on Tuesdays when it's full moon?

If farmers are not interested in the details of what effects their business, they will be on governments doorstep every year, begging handouts. I don't think that is what any farmer wants.....at least not in my neighborhood.

Parsley

Comment

Some folks took your advice, Chas. Got lots of lawyers reading this stuff. and it doesn't look good for the CWB. ....... they've stuffed their bureaucratic head in the sand I imagine, but one of these mornings, there will be no-cost export licenses for all farmers....because a judge says so.

Parsley

Comment

Parsley: Its about time someone got something rolling. I do believe that farmers in Sask. Man. and Alberta should continuely pester their provincial governments until they force the fed's into granting export license for all farmers and allowing an open domestic market for wheat and barley with the volunary option to deliver to the board. Lets create industry and employment in Western Canada for future generations in agriculture. Chas
                            PS. We have been vocal all winter on this website and it sounds like we are all coming to some what of an agreement on what needs to happen to the CWB. Let press our Provincial Governments to put pressure on the Federal Government for changes to th CWB. After all that guy Trudeau once said "Why should I sell your Wheat."

Comment

Chas,

Thankyou for your support!

I hope we can the time and energy to create new jobs and prosperity for our communities, instead of fighting.

We can make our farms and communities better places, and of course we must be willing to work hard and sacrifice to see this happen!

I hope this new interest in marketing by the Alberta government will get our imaginations working!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...