• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why fight with each other, think instead?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why fight with each other, think instead?

I am a cow/calf producer in Canada and most of R-CALF are the same, as a group we have more in common than we have differences.
    - in each of our countries we are the bottom of the feeder chain but we are also the beginning.
    - BSE is about as common on either side of the border but, the calves leaving our farms and ranches fed on grass and milk are the least likely source.
    - our cull cows on both sides are a potential source of BSE as well as are the cull dairy cows.
    - the same trans-national packers dominate the retail and export beef markets and play the primary producer, the feeders, and the consumers off against each other on both sides of the border. By doing so they are the big winners in this game not either of us.

So here are some ideas that show that cooperation between c/c producers and feeders on both sides of the border will lead to more profits for both us and the independent feeders:
    - all calves leaving the farm/ranch gate leaves with an electronic tag and is age verified. The cost to be born by the producer, but will returned to them as an ad on charge to the purchaser.
    - we as producers pay for the testing of all cull cows including dairy on a cow by cow basis. Each cow is tagged at the farm gate with the costs of tagging returned to the producer by the purchaser.
    - the feeder must pay for the testing but the full price of the test must be returned for each animal that passes the test. The costs of administering are to be born by the packer.
    - the cull cow testing costs must be equal to or less than this cost. all testing to the same standards and audited by a bilateral food inspection agency.
    - cow/calve operator create a trans-border marketing board that set the minimum price of a calve or cull cow based on age, weight, type dairy or beef and a guaranteed return including a profit; and for cull cows base it on condition, age and a reasonable return.
    - backgrounders and independent feeders could form their own marketing boards or join with the cow/calve guys
    - good cattle would still be bid higher.

This would end the in fighting, maintain stability in the markets, insure adequate returns to the producers, provide food safety, and put the packer out of the control of the market place and back in the position of supplying meat and out of the feeder business.

You make some interesting points but miss one that is the crux of the R-Calf/Canada border issue. R-Calf does not consider anyone to have the right to fill what they see as their own domestic market and have shown that they will go to any lengths to stop beef or live cattle from entering the US. Their view of trade is only in commodities THEY need such as energy and that beef should never have been in the NAFTA agreement.

Until that attitude changes we will continue to see friction between both sides. Do you have any suggestion as to how that would be accomplished?

Comment

Time will tell and I certainly could be wrong but.... I think R-Calf is a non issue with Rule 2. And Canadian producers need to realize that R-Calf never did represent the American cattle producer. Some recent evidence suggests that R-Calf never had more than 3000 members. While I applaud attempts by Canadian cattle producers to cooperate with American cattle producers we need bear in mind that the American cattle producer is not R-Calf.

I think the marketing board concept does not have much chance of flying. There never was a trans national marketing board like cowdog envisions. All the Canadian marketing boards are based on solely supplying product to a domestic market. If we wish to trade live cattle and beef within the NAFTA market it needs to be on the basis of free and open trade without restrictions, not marketing boards.

I realize that we have a non functioning market for live cattle in Canada right now. Rule 2 will come into force sometime this year and that will help. Reading between the lines I see cowdog’s solution for our industry’s woes as involving a great deal of government intervention in the cattle industry. I do not believe cattle producers really want that to happen. Certainly there is no way the American cattle producer is going to let government run their business.

Comment

farmers_son--R-CALF has 15,000 members- they are down 3,000 members- probably with the good prices we've had-- but the dropping cattle prices and the cull crash if Rule 2 goes thru will bring them back soon enough...

I also guess you forget these comments eh??????????????

Looks to me that the cattleman across the US all have concerns about the Rule 2 and don't support it as it is written.....

National Farmers Union
        Quote:
        “In the interest of U.S. producers and consumers, USDA should withdraw the proposed rule to expand Canadian beef and cattle imports. The department should also move to immediately implement mandatory country of origin labeling which would allow consumers to make an informed choice of where their food comes from.”

NCBA
        Quote:
        NCBA is reviewing the proposed rule along with a detailed economic and scientific analysis developed for NCBA members as we work to shape our comments. At last week’s annual meeting in Nashville, NCBA members did not reject the USDA proposal, but adopted a policy voicing concerns about its possible impact. The interim policy adopted February 3rd demands permanent identification of all live cattle imported from Canada through harvest, and calls for USDA to develop an orderly market transition plan before expanding the scope of cattle and beef imports from Canada.

R-CALF
        Quote:
        “This demonstrates just how ridiculous and premature it is for our government to be considering even further relaxations of our import standards that would allow into the U.S. imports of Canadian cattle older than 30 months (OTM) of age, as well as the government’s intention to allow into the U.S. beef products from Canadian cattle of any age,” Thornsberry continued. “OTM cattle in a BSE-affected country bear an inherently higher risk for the disease, so R-CALF calls for the immediate withdrawal of this proposed rule.

Comment

Well cowdog, that post pretty much puts in a nutshell how interested American cattle producers are in anything outside their own back yards. Why see the big picture when you can see the small one?

No matter that we shop at Walmart, eat at Pizza Hut, drive Chev trucks, listen to Jay Leno at night, and buy more American exports than any other country in the world. Not of interest to our neighbours to the south. It also doesn't matter that we provide America with half of it's energy supply. Or that eastern Canada imports a significant amount of American beef. Or that western Canada imports a significant amount of American corn.

No. All that matters is that you can see Canadian cattle trucks on the highway in Montana.

That's all that matters.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...