• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Korea

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Korea

An international crisis with the potential of the next world war was averted yesterday with the announcement of a deal what would see North Korea dismantle its nuclear program in exchange for oil. The amount of oil or oil equivalent promised is in excess of one million tons of oil. That converts to 680 million barrels of oil or put another way 40% of the expected Alberta tar sands reserves.

So what does that have to do with cattle and beef?

Oil is the currency of the world. Oil is power. The U.S is the world’s largest energy consumer. The United States is addicted to oil and Canada is a pusher. Now oil is being used to maintain global stability. If one is so inclined to believe, oil is the root cause of the instability in the middle east with the resulting loss of life of thousands of American soldiers not to even mention the associated astronomical budgetary deficits resulting from fighting the Iraq war. Oil is the power currency of the world.

By the way, did the U.S. government and the American people forget that Canada has oil and gas for sale? But there is this little problem of the U.S. blocking trade in live cattle and beef to prop up a couple of U.S. packing plants. Tch, tch…..

Rule 2 is published and is in the comment period. I think Canada and Canadians are in an incredibly great bargaining position. I hope we take advantage of it. If we lay down on this one and accept any, I mean any, restrictions on our access to the U.S. market in the midst what could be Canada’s best negotiating position vis a vis the U.S. in our history it will be a crime. We frankly do not have to take any crap from the Yankees right now. All Canadians, not just cattle producers should expect nothing less than a very, very good deal from our American neighbours on matters of trade. We got what they want.

The media leads us to believe that the decision to either continue to restrict trade or resume normalized trade in live cattle and beef is somehow made in Montana court. I believe the decisions are made in Washington. Assuming Canada does not drop the ball on this one, Washington has only one decision they can make. Trade irritants with Canada are unacceptable and first on the list of trade irritants has to be the unscientific restrictions the U.S. is placing on trade with Canadian live cattle and beef.

Again farmers_son a post that should go directly to the Chairman and Board of ABP/CCA.

Comment

WE also have power, if the Alta-Link project is approved. It is scheduled to provide power for Calgary but it doesn't take a genius to figure out where the exceess power is going to be marketed. As far as I am concerned, our governments need to lay down the law, no cows going across the border,no power, oil and gas.

Comment

LOL as if a Canuck politician would have the backbone to try that.You pot smokers live in a dream world.

Comment

Actually, for the first time I can remember, the Canadian federal government has it's power base in the west. And it's a minority government which cannot afford to alienate that power base.

Someone in Ottawa actually has good reason to listen to the voice of the west.

Comment

farmers_son-- I don't think ol GW is going to pay any extortion money or oil to Korea...

If anything political influences him to go against the public outcry against opening the border- it will be his wishes to not upset the apple cart in his backing of the corporate worlds takeover of Canada/Mexico...He's really playing softball with Canada and Mexico lately so he can get his North American Union plan thru...

Which will just make all Canucks into bastard child Americans...LOL

Comment

What ever Willow Creek. Your thoughts are truly delusional.

Funny thing about the border you are always spouting off about Willow. The border is open you old fool, and all that will be gained by rule two is another opportunity for Cargill and Tyson to bury more of your Northern State packers.

What is the stand of Rcalf? Do they want to leave things the way they are with Liner loads of boxed beef, and live UTM's flooding the USA and block rule 2?

Or do you really think that Rule 2 is actually good for your cull cow prices as it will be near impossible under the rule to allow a BSE Canadian terrorist cull cow over 30 months to enter your pristine land? While allowing your American Multinational buddies to bury more business in your part of the world that does not belong to them?

Which way Willowcreek? You only have two choices cause you sure the hell ain't going to roll back time and stop the Cargill and Tyson from importing their beef into your country.

Comment

Can't tell you what R-CALF's stand is-- but mine is that Rule 2 for OTM beef/cattle should be postponed until USDA gets M-COOL implemented in the US-requires permanent hot iron brand ID of ALL cattle imports - and develops a working tracking system for imported cattle.....

Kind of a mix of what both R-CALF and NCBA are calling for....

Comment

WillowKreek, Alberta's oilsands look pretty good to GW, if all he has to do is let a few cows into the good old US of A, to get the oil he needs vs depending on volatile middle east markets, I am sure he meet the liners at the border and give them a Presidential welcome !!! Alberta holds the ace in this deal.

Comment

Coppertop you realy dont think the Alta Gov would do any thing to stop oil going to the US do you , especaly when there are only a few farmers involved hell they would sacrafice us in a minute if they thought it would put a few more cents in thier pockets.

Comment

horse, the Alberta Government doesn't want to lose the feeding industry in Alberta. If the cow/calf producers all decide to go out of business, who is going to supply the feedlots with calves !

I think that this new government is will be a lot tougher to deal with as far as other countries and even Ottawa are concerned, and if the cattle industry would all sing from the same song sheet and demand the government get tough about moving OTM cattle south, it just might happen.

Comment

Coppertop I would say the cowcalf man is gone so there for the feeding industry is also gone just how much longer can the cowman the real cowman hang on. You just cant keep on producing for less than the costs and still live, as for me and you and cowman and most everyone else that is over the hill or farm for fun what kind of an industry do you call that and the Gov dont give a damm, they are more interested in art centers in Ed or ski hills and golf courses and keeping the money rolling in from the oil and to hell with the future of any dam fool farmer, there is always offshore beef.

Comment

We are already merged with the us.
                          I can buy shares in any american company in 60 seconds.
                          Any american can do the same.
                          Who do you think the major shareholders of the oil sands are?
                          Canadian?LOL

As far as korea their bying time.
                          America is getting weaker every day.
                          The military has been overstreached.
                          Moral in iraq has been lost.
                          China will over take the us economically in 7 years.
                          Its called a paradigm shift.

Comment

horse, what makes you think I am over the hill????? 'Over the Hill' is a state of mind, nothing else. I think that the last few years in the cattle business have many people feeling that they are worn out, but most of the people that are still in the business are near my age and are a long way from being over the hill, unless the hill happens to be the one on the way to the calving barn !!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.