• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not exactly blowing over quickly Randy!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not exactly blowing over quickly Randy!

Mad Cow Fears in United States

Aired May 21, 2003 - 19:19 ET

DARYN KAGAN, CNN ANCHOR: Joining us now from Calgary is Randy Kaiser. He is owner of CrossVenture Livestock. And he is here to tell us exactly what this might mean to one businessman, one cow affecting one businessman.
    Randy, thanks for joining us this evening.

RANDY KAISER, OWNER, CROSSVENTURE LIVESTOCK: Hi.

KAGAN: First of all, the Canadian government is not saying exactly where this particular cow came from. So, off the top, let's just establish, this is not your cow that tested positive for mad cow disease.

KAISER: Yes, definitely not.

KAGAN: And yet, as I understand it, it came to affect you right away. You went to auction yesterday to try to sell a bunch of cows and it didn't exactly work out that way.

KAISER: No, it didn't. We hauled the cattle up and we ended up having to bring them home again. So it cost up us a few dollars for trucking and what not.

KAGAN: How is this going to affect your business?

KAISER: Well, at the moment, basically, our cattle are worth nothing, because we can't sell them, if we tried to. But I believe this thing is very much under control. The animal was a very individual case. And I think that it's going to be blown over in a very short time.

KAGAN: But here's the question that can't be answered right now, Randy. And I would just wonder if someone in your position is asking yourself the same question. Nobody knows, even if it's just this one cow, where this cow got mad cow disease from. So do you look at your own herd and wonder perhaps it's infected your own herd?

KAISER: No, I don't.

There are so many different aspects of this disease. It's supposedly brought on by being fed remnants of another animal that had died from the disease. Well, we don't feed anything like that. And very few ranches ever do. And even in that case, it's so minute of a chance of getting it that I don't have any concern whatsoever in our farm.

KAGAN: How about any concern about how the Canadian government is handling the situation?

KAISER: I feel really good. They've done a good job. It's gone really fast. It's something that had to happen, as well as the American border closing. But I believe that it will turn around very fast. There's no concern about the health of the product in mine mind whatsoever.

KAGAN: Well, we wish you well keeping a healthy livestock. Thanks for the input from Calgary. Much appreciated.

Randy Kaiser, thanks for joining us.

KAISER: Thank you.

Well it should have Willow Kreek. 158 vCJD deaths in the world in total and none that can be proven without a shadow of a doubt to be from eating beef, or any part of a bovine.

Problem is, every special interest group with an economic agenda has pushed this BSE thing into a space where it never belonged.

Funny how little I had to say back then Hey Willow Kreek.

Wish I could do another interview with your CNN boys now. Do you think they would air the part about what I think of the Rcalf clowns?

Comment

NFU: BSE Case Reason to Keep Canadian Border Closed
      For Immediate Release: February 8, 2007

WASHINGTON (Feb. 8, 2007) – National Farmers Union President Tom Buis issued the following statement today in reaction to Canada’s ninth confirmed case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).

“Today’s confirmation of Canada’s ninth BSE case is further proof the country does not have its BSE problem under control. The infected animal’s age is 6 and a half years which falls within the range of previous cases – animals born since March 1, 1999.

“Coincidently, USDA has recently proposed to allow live cattle imports born after March 1, 1999 into the United States, despite Canada finding at least three BSE-positive animals born after that date.

“In the interest of U.S. producers and consumers, USDA should withdraw the proposed rule to expand Canadian beef and cattle imports. The department should also move to immediately implement mandatory country of origin labeling which would allow consumers to make an informed choice of where their food comes from.”

Comment

Seriously, Willow. What if y'all get your country of origin labelling and it turns out your country wants Alberta grain fed because it tastes good AND bin tested???? Don't see how that's going to save all y'alls down there if it turns out that giving consumers a "choice" backfires in your face.
        Just something to ponder. No, I don't know any more than any one else. Have a good day all and thanks for reading.
        Thanks for the message, Randy. Sure, anytime.

Comment

whiteface-- If thats what the consumer wants thats fine-- but at least they would have been given the info to make an informed choice- rather than the current method of FRAUD by False labeling...

Comment

They'll have a choice all right Oldtimer - before I am through.

Canandian Graded Prime Quality BSE Tested Beef.

Won't have to wory about cool, Mcool Willowcool, or Oldcool.

WHEN this time comes Oldtimer, will Rcalf still preach to the consumers about the problems with BSE?

Comment

rkaiser---LOL...And how will you do that? Move to a deserted island to raise those wooly cows?...LOL ... You know CFIA can't fart without asking USDA permission- and both are in the same stinky bed with the multinational Packers who aren't going to let any testing happen...

And your cattle organizations are scared to say anything against anybody without getting permission from everyone first- so you won't get any help there...

Nope-- When you guys sold out for the ride on the US cattlemans shirttails and the gravy train-- you gave up any industry or independence you ever had...And nobody's got the backbone left up there to stand and fight like some in the states are now doing....

Like I told cowman- I wish you could get testing going...Because every pound you send Japan or Korea won't be coming south...But I think your having pipedreams if you think you can do it....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...