• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The plot thickens!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plot thickens!

Okay this post is about the group of landowners who wanted to secede from Red Deer County?
    At first glance it looked like a bunch of "rebels without a cause" or some very uninformed farmers not thinking things through? However now the former councillor of Division 5 has come out in favor of creating a new rural county! This former councillor(Mr. Stoyberg) is pretty well respected in the area I believe? He retired...he didn't lose his seat...and I suspect he could win it back if he chose? I always found him to be a very knowedgable man and a real gentleman!
    He says this thing is entirely possible and probably desirable?
    Might be a real interesting meeting Feb 7, 2007 at Spruceview?

It will depend on the numbers of people in favor and the viability of a new municipality. What is the current county council saying about it in the media cowman ?

Comment

Wouldn't part of it depend on exactly what is making them want to secede? Who know the whole story and it might come out at the meeting on Feb 7th.

One thing that puzzles me is the notion that if you don't get what you want you just scream we want to separate and that is a solution to everything.

Given that only 27% of the voters in the county bothered to come out in the last municipal election, wouldn't it take a far greater percentage to opt out?

Unfortunately I won't be home the night of the meeting, so I guess I'll have to rely on the media to relate an "unbiased" version.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if Municipal Affairs had someone at the meeting just to observe how it was conducted and also to be aware of what issues were driving the request for a new municipality. The new Minister has a lot of conflicts to deal with but most of them are rural/urban. The Red Deer one is unique.

Comment

coppertop: No real opinions from any editor yet, only seems the reeve and councillor of division 5 are saying these poor lost souls are "mis-informed"!
          The gist of the matter has been expressed by Linda in previous posts? Poor roads, increased traffic, an unwillingness to focus on the rural areas because of the "war in gasoline alley"? I think it is a fairly common held belief that the rural areas don't get a lot of attention? Recently the councillor in Division 1(another very rural division) refused to vote in favor for the budget proposal because he felt division 1 was being ignored in roads because of the focus on the "war" and industrial developement in Red Deer County...in the areas around Red Deer?
          They may have a very valid point?

Comment

It does sound like the group is well organized, so they may have all the pros and cons well thought out.

Comment

I'm not just too sure how the "realignment of divisions" on the new elected reeve thing, is but division 5 will look a lot different and I would expect Mr. Lougheed wiil be lucky to survive as councillor? To have this grassroots revolt in his division doesn't speak well for his chances?
              I thought these secessionists were just a bunch of mis-informed rebels until Mr. Stoyberg waded into the debate. I always found him to have very good common sense and practical...definitely not a dreamer.

Comment

...wow...might need a political science major from the u of c to figure this one out...hard to get a real feel how many in the crowd are for separating from the county...lots of people were there to get answers why the need ...but this meeting basically was just to see if there is enough interest to support such a movement...first and last they wanted us to sign a petition that would help them get the information from edmonton the group needs to move forward...stay tuned...there is another meeting feb 20 to find out if there was enough support or not...

Comment

If the current county council isn't paying attention to the concerns of the people who are behind this initiative then they are very foolish. When citizens are so discontented they go to these lengths then there are obviously some valid reasons for their concerns.

Comment

There is a lot more to this story that is not beening told, but before I tell you about it let me make something clear, there is only a handful of the councilors I like or respect and the reeve is not one of them.
                    This is the problem, 95% of the county's tax revenues currently come from gasoline alley and almost none of the electrit lives there. The loss of this revenue would prove to be a big blow for the county. So, you understand why a lot of effort is being put into the fight inclading efforts by some very rural councilors I do respect.
                    If the county suceeds the rural resident will be the winners but, only after the costs of the developement debt have been met. If the county looses to the City of Red Deer the debt will be paid off and the county will be left from the fees paid by the city to the county, money that could fix all the rural problems at once ( of course we all know that like any government they would soon piss it away leaving us rate payer holding the bag.
                    Long term thinkers verse short term thinkers; so, what you have is a divisive issue. Now add to this the idea and now to be elected mayor and what do you get? A political want-to-be stirring the pot, not to for the division of the county as you claim, but for your own political ambissions to be county mayor.
                    Watch he will not get the support to divide the county but he will get a lot of attention, that he will use to shine the light on himself for mayor. Poor me I might have to vote for the current reeve for mayor because the only thing I hate more than politicians is political-want-to-bees. Excuse me while I go through up!!!!!!

Comment

There is a lot more to this story that is not beening told, but before I tell you about it let me make something clear, there is only a handful of the councilors I like or respect and the reeve is not one of them.
                      This is the problem, 95% of the county's tax revenues currently come from gasoline alley and almost none of the electrit lives there. The loss of this revenue would prove to be a big blow for the county. So, you understand why a lot of effort is being put into the fight inclading efforts by some very rural councilors I do respect.
                      If the county suceeds the rural resident will be the winners but, only after the costs of the developement debt have been met. If the county looses to the City of Red Deer the debt will be paid off and the county will be left from the fees paid by the city to the county, money that could fix all the rural problems at once ( of course we all know that like any government they would soon piss it away leaving us rate payer holding the bag.
                      Long term thinkers verse short term thinkers; so, what you have is a divisive issue. Now add to this the idea and now to be elected mayor and what do you get? A political want-to-be stirring the pot, not to for the division of the county as you claim, but for your own political ambissions to be county mayor.
                      Watch he will not get the support to divide the county but he will get a lot of attention, that he will use to shine the light on himself for mayor. Poor me I might have to vote for the current reeve for mayor because the only thing I hate more than politicians is political-want-to-bees. Excuse me while I go through up!!!!!!

Comment

cowdog, first I am positive that gasoline alley does not provide 95% of your county's assessment base. Municipalities are paid for power and pipeline, ( linear ) assessment plus Machinery and equipment assessment on all resource and power installations not just those in gasoline alley. The big issue is that gasoline alley provides most of the industrial assessment to your county. The city wants it but the county has told the city they can grow in another direction.
                        If the annexation is successful and the city does gain control of gasoline alley the county must be compensated for the loss of assessment, so would not be a total loss.

It is not going to matter who sits in the council seats once an annexation is in process, the process will involve mediation, public meetings, and if all that fails to come to an agreement the Municipal Government Board will make the final recommendation to cabinet who has the final say . In every one of these rural/urban conflicts it is much better to solve the issue locally, vs having the decision made by those who aren't directly involved in the situation or affected by the outcome.

If I were a betting person, I would suggest that the county will not lose gasoline alley, but in order to keep it they are spenging a lot of time and tax dollars in the battle, which, is likely why some folks in the outer edges of the county feel they are not getting the attention and programs they deserve.

Comment

Cowdog: Not sure who you are referring to as the "wanna be mayor"? Is it the spokesman for this group?
                          Maybe a run by someone on this issue would work, but I would think someone with some experience in government might have a better chance of being successful?
                          I think the present Reeve probably wants the job...don't know who else is expressing any interest...other than Greg Johnson former councillor in Div 2?
                          In my own opinion this present council has let costs get out of control and has put too much emphasis on things other than the nuts and bolts! When you go from an operating budget of $15.7 million to $19.7 million in one year...you've got to say WHOA 25% increase!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...