• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranchers?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranchers?

I read it regularily. So far I have not "lowered" myself to attend? Nor do I intend to. I am dismayed by the "liar", "diverter", "SOB" type of dialogue?
    But occasionally there is a glaring inconsistancy(untruth) that catches my eye?
    Recently one "stalwart" made the claim that in 1967 the average packer employee made $10/hr.....and today that same packer employee makes $10/hr.? Now this is total drivel?
    In 1973 I started working in a packing plant. The wage was $3.25/hr....and that was a pretty decent wage...union job, not some fly by night company?
    The lie...that packers have not had labor increases...is just that...a lie?
    In my local paper is an ad for Olymel(a hog packer)...starting wage $13.85/hr.?

Don't know where this thread started, but I'll throw my two cents in...Lakeside sent out a flyer last week advertising about $19 bucks an hour. Never happened before. Didn't look at it too close. Starting is around $13. I assume $19 would be a floor supervisor. Few make it that far, the body goes first. Anyone with brains moves onto the patch. Grader operators are around $30-$40/hour. Class one drivers more, more again with experience.

Of course this makes it hard on the ag industry as well. Finding help is very tough, and finding good help and keeping it is impossible, but that too shall pass.....

Comment

Man ive been reading to much of the marketing board and not enough of the beef board.

I was going to help you kick the piss out of that amerikan cowman but i dont think you need any.

One way to look at the wage thing would be the purchasing power of an hour of work.
      At 3.25 an hour you would have to work 11 hours to buy an ounce of gold(1973 terms)
      Today at 19 dollars an hour you would have to work 34 hours.

For what its worth.

Comment

Learn to spell American cottonpisser!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.