• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

County mayor?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County mayor?

Finally county council in Red Deer County passed the elected mayor deal. It was interesting that the vote was 4 to 3? It was very interesting that the Reeve voted against the proposal...after saying all along that the "people have spoken"! Maybe he is worried about his chances?
    I think it will be very interesting to see who takes a shot at mayor? It would be really interesting if some dark horse came out of the woodwork to take on the wannabes on council?
    Greg Johnson(a former reeve) did more to wake up the county in one term than 30 years of ho-hum politics! One thing about old Greg...the papers never had trouble making copy!
    Maybe one of the "seceders" might make a run for the rural vote? That actually is feasible as the "urbanites" in the county usually don't bother to vote!
    Linda: Heres your chance to get out in front of the parade, as Klein used to say!

cowman, interesting that you seem to think Greg Johnson is a hero. I can certainly remember him at various municipal conventions, he certainly seemed to enjoy the sound of his own voice and was at the microphone at every opportunity. I would suggest that your Reeve likely voted against the elected Reeve for one of two reasons, one being that perhaps the citizens in his own division don't support it, and the other likely would be his wish to be the Reeve or Mayor again and this may stifle his chances if a strong contender happens to run.

Depending on the issues facing the county and whether there are some valid concerns out amongst the ratepayers, there could be a huge turnout. I would suspect that the folks that are lobbying for a new county will run their own candidate, and that could certainly throw some interesting stuff into the mix.

Comment

I'll take that comment as tongue-in-cheek cowman. Thanks for that, but I am quite happy doing what I am doing now. If there is one thing that I've learned, I can't see myself ever being able to "play the games".

It will be interesting to see just who does come to the forefront. I can't see it being an easy decision for the sitting councillors and particularly the current reeve, if they intend to run again. Do you take your chances getting re-elected as a councillor, or do you throw your hat into a ring that you cannot predict the result.

Comment

Actually, Linda, there are many excellent council members both rural and urban that do not ' play the games'.

Comment

I am sure that there are copper and they do some great things for the municipality that they are in.

What I am saying is that it would drive me crazy to see that going on and it is best for me to stay away from it.

Comment

Well I thought you maybe had some political aspirations and I think you kind of were POed about your roads and how the county was focussing on gasoline alley/industrial parks? Thought it might be a good fit!
            I have no idea who might be considering running...other than Greg Johnson!
            Now coppertop, I never said Greg Johnson was my hero! I just said he sure kept things interesting! I truly doubt he could get elected...but would sure make for a wild and wooly campaign! The entertainment value would be priceless!

Comment

Thanks for the thought, cowman, and you are right - I do get concerned about the things you refer to, among others.

Let's just say I've found an area to focus my energies and my passion that I believe will have some excellent results at the end of the day.

Good luck to those who do run, however.

Comment

cowman, the trouble with a wild and wooly campaign is that it tends to cloud the real issues, which are what all candidates should focus on. We have an elected Reeve, he is a lot better than what we had before, although he is a fence sitter and certainly not a public speaker. Sometimes its better to have someone with too little to say than waaaaaaay too much !!!!!

Comment

Linda: Well you can never go wrong doing something you enjoy and quite frankly I don't see how being a politician can be much fun! Well I should qualify that...I can see how it might be fun to live it up on someones elses dime...but not much fun getting your ass chewed off for everything you do!
                  Now I will admit I like to roast the politicians...I go to just about every open house they have...and I'm no shrinking violet!
                  However I also give credit where credit is due and have complemented several politicians for their good works! And I acknowledge their committment. Its easy to complain...not so easy to find a solution! I actually know each councillor personally and they know me! I guess I supply the entertainment!
                  I talk to my councillor regularily...she lives pretty close and her husband and I have done business together. I consider them both very good friends. But I sure let her know when I think she is wrong...but also tell her when I think she is right! She has no problem telling me to go to hell when we don't agree...literally...well I guess you have to know her...very outspoken lady! But usually we are pretty well in the same ballpark.
                  She once suggested that I should take a run at politics...but NO THANKS...I'd be like Hitler or something!

Comment

cowman, since 1992 i have been involved one way or another with local politics, either as a board member or councillor. One citizen of our county has been attending every public meeting since that time whining about just about everything imaginable. He has NEVER complimented council or county staff, and has never been satisfied with any measures taken to deal with issues he has raised.

When he walks into a hall where a meeting is being held the groan goes up from eveyone in the room. He delights on picking on new county staff, trying to make them look foolish at every possible opportunity. When I was on council I would challenge his statments, ask him to provide facts to back up his complaints, etc.

I mention the above because when anyone fancies themself as the entertainment at meetings because of their ability to be vocal, perhaps they should ensure that comments they make are productive, valid and not too long winded .

Comment

Well coppertop...I try to provide good entertainment! Actually I'm not the best around...there is one old boy who has me beat hands down!
                      I think I ask valid questions and I never resort to any kind of "down and dirty" mud slinging!
                      And I think , actually, most county councillors and staff look forward to any meeting I'm at!!! They know though the questions may be tough, I'm not there to embarass them, but have a true desire to know just what the deal is?
                      Hey, the fact is these political things can be pretty boring, and many people are are too shy to ask the tough questions...that everybody is thinking?
                      Sort of like agri-ville? Nobody wants to play the old redneck, but might really have those kinds of ideas? I have never had a problem getting up and saying it how I see it...and damned the consequences! Here, or at a public meeting? Might be why me and my councillor have such a good relationship? ...birds of a feather...

Comment

In reading the local paper about the county's budget deliberations, one councillor didn't want to approve the budget because he felt that more attention should be paid to his division. One councilor told him that he works for the good of the county, not his division and he shouldn't "beak off" and another accused him of grandstanding.

It always amuses me when people point fingers - there are always a few pointing back at yourself. Neither of these two have done any of that I suppose.

Comment

Linda: Actually Mr. Wood probably has a good point? Div. 1 usually gets the shaft...check it out? Your division(5) would probably cry if you had to put up with what they get?
                          The boy owns land in division 1...and it really is sad how little attention they get! It really is "dogpatch"?
                          And yet I will tell, from my experience, there are no better people than the people who live in Division 1!
                          They are downhome farmers, uncorrupted by all the acreage/fake farmers in the whole county! Salt of the earth, ready to help you, friendly as a German Shephard pup! I go in a restaurant out there...and they don't knoiw me fro Adam...but invite we to come sit with them...Just really good people.
                          When I retire...I intend to do it in Division 1! They are my kind of people. Farmers who know where the center of the world is.

Comment

during budget deliberations most municipalities have several meetings ' in camera' to iron out the issues between divisions. If one council member feels his division isn't a fair share of the pie, the time to raise the issue is both ' in camera' and when the budget is passed in a council meeting. I would venture a guess that the councillor in Division 1 is likely not a follower but an individual thinker, so there might be a possibility that his or her division is getting the shaft so the electorate will consider making a change. There is no ' dirty politics' like election year politics. I can remember having an entire road project cancelled by three members of council because I wouldn't support one of their little self serving escapades. The public works director attended the final budget meeting and explained in a kindergarten tone that cancelling the project was going to cost approximately $25,000 more the following year because it couldn't be tendered out with other projects etc. Members of the public were up in arms at the three AMIGOS and they backed down, changed their minds and the project went ahead without my having to utter one word during the public meeting. ( damn good thing the comments I did make weren't in public...!!).

Comment

coppertop: From what I heard from a former councillor...those in camera meetings can get pretty salty...any comment?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.