• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watering calves with snow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watering calves with snow

Has anyone backgrounded calves using snow as the sole water source?

I still have some calves on the cows and are they are all using snow but need to pull the calves off, and was hoping to fencline wean the calves and feed the calves out in the field as well.

Lack of plentiful clean water will be your biggest reason your calves do not gain well. They are only going to eat as much as they can if they have adequate water. Weaning is a period of time that they have huge nutritional needs and if not met may become stunted. My opinion only.

Comment

If they're used to licking snow they should be all right-ours are still running out but I don't think we'll wean until there's some puddles in the paddocks. My calves have never looked better and cows are holding up well-don't think we'll early wean ever again. A guy could probably build a creep pen and put some second cut hay in it for them but they're doing fine running out with the cows. I know the corral cleaning bill will be nonexistant this year lol.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...