• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rye Marketing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rye Marketing

Thanks, Charlie. Can someone describe what's been happening in the distilling market? Prices have dropped from $4.00+/bu to less than $1.50. There's very little interest in feeding rye, due mostly to its palatability, I assume. Is there any emerging market for triticale, which I assume has a palatability midway between rye and wheat? Thanks, Jim Charlie Pearson wrote: >Using rye and marketing alternatives in the same sentence is almost a counterdiction in terms. The markets for rye are distilling, milling, feed (both export and domestic) and seed for annual forage. Here in Alberta, the milling market is only small and mainly for local processing. We are a long ways away from Minneapolis so our neighbors in Sask. and Man. mainly supply export demand from here. The export market is mainly Japan is demand for 5,000 to 8,000 t every month but the EU has pushed Canada out of this market. That leaves the distilling market (high quality/Agricore sourcing for companies like Alta. Distillers) and local feed markets the main targets for Alta. production. A lot of rye seed is also used for annual forage. Has anyone heard any new crop rye prices (either feed or higher quality).

The average rye price I've seen lately is approximately $2.50 - $2.60 at the bin. No one, thus far, has ventured forth with new crop pricing.

Comment

I copied your question about the feeding into the Intensive Livestock room. Maybe someone there knows. From what I've heard triticale can be used for silage, feed, and flour. On the rye prices --the Alberta Grain Commission reports average rye prices, collected from elevator companies. Because they are average prices and because they are from elevator companies (and so include handling costs) they tend to be lower than the ones mentioned in the other response to the question. The rye & triticale growers I've talked to in the past tended to be from the east central area. Where are rye and triticale more commonly grown?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.