• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is wheat worth as a green fuel ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is wheat worth as a green fuel ?

Hi All
    Tom gave me some figures in another thread which suggests feed wheat might be worth more TODAY as fuel than for food.
    One bushel equals cost the heat house/day or
    3tonnes equal 1000litres oil

Would anyone else like to comment or add their own figures.

I sold wheat for feed at £60 when it was worth £80 as fuel.

Regards Ian

Thanks for the support on Foot and Mouth
    Things don't look good.
    Another case has been confirmed today.A large dealer in Devon 200 miles from last case, he even exports to Europe.
    They are taking worst case senario. Must hope not true ALL movment of animals banned for 7 days.

Thanks again Ian

Comment

Ianben: I would't throw out my natural gas furnace but it could be a very good supplemental heat in times of low prices in wheat and barley like now. The economics of it would change guickly if we started burning large amounts of it. Right now we could cut our heating bills in half by burning poor quality wheat or feed barley. Alot of industry here is switching back to coal heating as it is priced at $30 to $40 a tonne. No real concern about Kyoto agreement by government or industry. Chas

Comment

Here is what I wrote about Kyoto form U.K. view in another thread.
        Thought it might be useful here too

From April 2001 U.K.businesses will be subject to a Climate Change Levy.
        A tax on fossil fuels to help meet our Kyoto comitments.
        It is estimated to INCREASE enery cost by 10-15%

So governments might help on this one.
        It depends on how it is marketed THE PR WOULD HAVE TO BE PERFECT.

Defenatly not a job for me!!!!!!!

In my experience governments support what they think will get them re-elected every time.

What is Canada doing about Kyoto comitments?

Regards Ian.

Comment

Hi Chas
          Thanks for the reply a 50% saving Eh!!

I don't suggest anyone throws out their old boiler but buys a grain/multi fuel one as well. Then burns the cheapest or most convinient fuel on the day.
          Do those guys switching to coal know about wheat. Coal is a very dirty fuel produces acid rain. In the U.K. we make them clean up the smoke very costly I believe. So although we have loads of coal less and less is being burnt.

Chas why don't you take a trip to West Edmunton Mall.
          Tell them you can save them 50% on heating costs. I bet they could pay for a boiler in a couple of months.
          How do they heat that place anyway?
          I didn't think of that when I was there last May.

Regards Ian.

Comment

Ianben: West Edmonton Mall is into the taxpayers of Alberta for a half a billion dollars now. I don't think we want to buy them a heating system. Sounds like subsidy doesn't it.
            I assume they heat it with a natural gas fired boiler but I not positive.
            I hope you get that hoof and mouth under control or there'll be one hell of pile of feed grain with no home.

Comment

Thanks Chas
              The government is trying it's best. They just extended the movment restrictions till 16/3/01.
              This will be a huge extra cost to the whole food industery with no compensation. Hope they can all suvive.

As a taxpayer in Alberta is it not your duty to point out the saving to be made by burning wheat at the mall.

It is a better opportunity than I thought just think of the publicity if they switch!!!!

Regards ian

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...