• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gravy train soon to be de-railed !

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravy train soon to be de-railed !

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has denied the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA’s) request to dismiss the R-CALF case.

The court said in its decision that the agency’s rarely used legal maneuver was denied “because the arguments raised in response to the motion (by R-CALF USA) are sufficiently substantial to warrant further argument.”

“We are pleased that the 9th Circuit has determined that R-CALF USA’s case warrants further consideration and we look forward to being able to present the facts concerning the BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) problem in Canada and how this situation relates to trade with the United States,” said Billings, Mont.-based R-CALF USA President and Region V Director Chuck Kiker. “It is time Canada’s BSE issues, its higher BSE infection level and its ineffective feed ban are addressed, and rules developed to protect Canada’s trade partners, like the U.S., from importing this disease.”

R-CALF USA filed litigation against USDA in January 2005, claiming the agency’s Final Rule on “Minimal Risk Regions: Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy and the Importation of Commodities,” which relaxed long-standing import restrictions for countries affected by BSE, was inadequate to protect the U.S. cattle industry from the introduction of BSE from Canada.

“Utilizing a court of law was our last resort in our attempts to work with USDA to maintain the health of the U.S. cattle herd,” Kiker continued. “This latest decision by the 9th Circuit means that R-CALF gets the right to appeal. If we win the appeal, then we will have the opportunity to have all our facts and scientific evidence considered by the court. This has been our objective all along.”

Kiker surmised that USDA does not want the organization’s case to be reviewed by the 9th Circuit because the circumstances unfolding in Canada continue to disprove the key assumptions USDA used to defend its Final Rule. Just as one example, Kiker said, USDA did not contemplate the recent discoveries of BSE-infected cattle born three to five years after the 1997 implementation of Canada’s feed ban.

R-CALF USA CEO Bill Bullard said the 9th Circuit now must decide if this case should be reconsidered. R-CALF USA must file its opening brief by Dec. 11, and USDA’s reply brief is due Jan. 10, 2007, exactly two years after R-CALF USA filed its lawsuit against the agency. R-CALF USA can then file an optional reply brief within 14 days of USDA’s reply brief.

"....and rules developed to protect Canada’s trade partners, like the U.S., from importing this disease.”

And how exactly are you importing the "disease" willowcreek? have you r-calvers been smuggling in Canadian heifers again?

Comment

Anybody know of a gravy train? Please let me know where it's parked, so I can get on it.

The only gravy train I know of is filled with lawyers.

Comment

If we are on the gravy train up here...it is mighty thin gravy! I would suggest prices aren't all that great, for fats, for feeders, for culls?
        I won't say we are in a negative profit position, because everytime I say that I get called a crybaby by all the "super cowboys" on here, but I will say it sure ain't rosy and the land of milk and honey!
        Some of us will tough it through and still be in the cow business no matter what? We'll continue to battle the weather, the packer combine, our useless government...and yes the likes of R-CALF and US protectionists! Hopefully some day we'll see a better return? Every dog has his day.

Comment

Folks- You may not believe me...BUT I DID NOT POST THAT ONE EITHER...I have sent e-mails to the monitor with NO ANSWER... Someone else has the ability to use the "willowcreek" name....

Leaves me with lots of speculation about the integrity and security of this web site....

Dick Britzman
          Glasgow Montana

Comment

I think if I was you OT I would change my password if you can.

Comment

I was at a hotel last week filled with farmers and checked agri-ville Someo-one named Brian was logged on so I logged him off before I continued, never even got their screen name maybe something like that has happened. A not so nice guy could have made it difficult for the real Brian.

Comment

Success... I changed my password and everything- but knew it wasn't coming from this computer- ain't no one else here!!!
                Tonite I got an e-mail back from the Mayor of Agriville who said their system had inadvertently let someone else take the same user name- but since I had it first they were changing the others to Willow-Kreek...

So I guess I can stay around a little longer-- I'd hate to let you guys ride that gravy train without raising your blood pressure about it once in awhile...LOL

Wouldn't have to worry about gravy trains tonite-- freeze before you could pour it...10 below- 30-40 mph winds- 40 below chill factor and snow coming down horizontal to the ground...Been like this all day-but now the bottom is starting to drop out of the thermometer...Could get 20-25 below tonite with the wind not predicted to die down until tomorrow afternoon....

Comment

All this hot air coming from the Willowcreeks wouldn't have anything to do with this news would it? Maybe we can get on the gravy train with our cull cows?

"USDA indicated Monday that it has completed a new risk assessment on older Canadian cattle and that it once again is seeking to allow Canadian cattle and beef 30 months of age and older into the U.S. food chain. The risk assessment was sent last week to the White House's Office of Management and Budget with little fanfare. OMB indicated it received the proposal on Nov. 24."

Comment

And how much longer will it take before the beef starts moving across the border, my bet is months or a year!!

It would be nice though to have some value back into the older cows that have done their time as mother cows.

Comment

October 2003 -- The fastest growing cattlemen's group in the country, R-CALF, was founded by Leo McDonnell primarily on one issue: that if we weren't flooded by imports of both beef and cattle from our northern and southern neighbors that we could have a cattle business in this country that was both profitable and sustainable. It took a Canadian mad cow to prove R-CALF's thesis correct. Once the border was closed cattlemen on this side received the highest prices in history for their stock. In October of 2003 the price of fat cattle averaged 105.50 for the month!

December 23, 2003 -- A day that will not soon be forgotten. It was Christmas week and our present from Santa was our very own mad cow in this country. Albeit by way of Canada. Within three days of the Mabton Mad Cow being found in Washington state the United States lost 90 percent of its beef export market.

In introducing the Mabton Mad Cow at a Friday press conference on December 24 former Ag Secretary Veneman made no mention of the fact that the cow originally came from
                      Canada. When the futures market opened on the following Friday the futures market for all classes of cattle fell. Our market didn't crash like Canada's because ours is mostly a domestic market: we eat what we produce. In Canada they export over half of their production.

Comment

And the point of your post is??

Comment

The point is that as an American cattleman producing some of the best beef in the world,I am sick of having an inferior product dumped in my country and passed off as American beef.

Comment

Best beef in the world?? You can't have travelled very far from Sticksville, Montana then.

Comment

Willow-Kreep nows here's a live one hey folks. Got anything between those ears of yours buddy?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...