• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB discussion Paper

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB discussion Paper

Interesting reading CWB releases Discussion Paper on Plebisite
    http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/news/releases/2006/110106.jsp
    Be prepared it is only 22 pages.
    A few points to get the discussion rolling. Author is IM Kowalski Anyone know who this is. I would start by saying that this is like a federal election where you would determine for example that in this the election the Liberals would make all the rules.If the CWB feels this is an only fair concept( a party with a vested interest in the results making all the rules ) then I would suggest that they should be comfortable with the Government making all the rules and ignoring them completely. Read the section on the definition of producer ,farmer,actual producer. I'm following the debate and I'm even confused. Clear black and white question.If that's the case then maybe it should be that the question is have the CWB sell all our wheat and barley including feed and current non board or we should have an open market. Weighted ballots. We cannot have weighted ballots because it would unduly favor large producers over small producers. What we should have is an election where small part time farmers and people who don't farm can determine the future of those who sole livelyhood is derived from growing grain. Why doesn't the CWB just come out and state the obvious. We want to run the plebisite so that we are sure we get the results we want.

Craig,

In looking into CWB Act 47.1,

Minister’s obligation
    47.1 The Minister shall not cause to be introduced in Parliament a bill that would exclude any kind, type, class or grade of wheat or barley, or wheat or barley produced in any area in Canada, from the provisions of Part IV, either in whole or in part, or generally, or for any period, or that would extend the application of Part III or Part IV or both Parts III and IV to any other grain, unless

(a) the Minister has consulted with the board about the exclusion or extension; and

(b) the producers of the grain have voted in favour of the exclusion or extension, the voting process having been determined by the Minister.

1998, c. 17, s. 25.

IMHO "producers of grain" would include growers, in Canada (since "Part IV" of the CWB Act applies to all of Canada)

Of Wheat, Barley, Rye, Oats, Flax, Rapseed and Canola;

Who would be entitled to vote on the exclusion being sought by the CWB Minister.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...