• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay prices?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay prices?

The hay I grow goes into small bales, if possible, for the horse trade. A custom type guy does it all. It was all good this year.
    We had a fairly good carryover but will need to buy some. The couple of local guys I usually buy from have priced it pretty much like last year...in that 2.5 to 3 cent range. Now I hear some very cheap prices but am very reluctant to buy hay from someone I don't know...I've seen the effects of weed infested, cheap hay!
    Also by the time freight is factored in, I doubt I'd get a better deal? And besides I'd like to help out these neighbors...if they go out of business I might have to grow my own!

I just bought 350 tonnes for $41 a tonne delivered to the cows mouth. I've got another 800 tonnes spoke for at about $45 delivered. There's lots of cheaper priced hay aroun d than that but these guys have been good suppliers other years.

Comment

...been around to quite a few places here in central ab...hay everywhere...but with grain prices going up i can see the price of hay also improving...currently selling for 50 dollars a ton in my area...

Comment

blackjack: I see by your price my guys aren't very much different? Quite frankly I wouldn't want to try to make much money growing hay at $50/ton? The 100 acres of hay I do have is kind of a money loser even when it goes to the horse trade! I do it on a share deal with a hay guy but I get the pleasure of buying the fertilizer and the tarps...he does all the work and gets it sold/delivered etc.! Probably works out close to what I get in my share deal on canola in an average year...sometimes a bit more.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.