• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millenium Bug

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millenium Bug

Technically, what is Y2K? <b> What are they proposing could occur resulting from the Y2K bug? <b> What are people's thoughts on Y2K? <b> Will it pose as great a risk as people are predicting? What precautions, if any, are you taking regarding Y2K?<b> Possible situation<b> If the worst happened with Y2K, what would that mean for agriculture industry and our quality of life in the short term, the long term?<b> I look forward to your thoughts and ideas.

I think I've been bitten by the Y2K bug. Yep, I'm sick and tired of hearing all the doomsday scenarios concerning this issue. While it is a concern for most people, I do not think it as dangerous as some alarmists would have us believe. <P> Anyone using Microsoft products is familiar with buggy software. Did you know that bug is actually an acronym for Bill's User Group? All kidding aside producers should take some precautions to avoid being seriously affected by the Y2K problem. The problem consists basically of 3 issues or concerns. These are computer hardware, computer software and finally embedded systems. The hardware and software issues deal mainly with your desktop system. The embedded systems are control systems that rely on embedded micro-processors to manage the electronic processes and tasks of the equipment. Embedded chips can be found in microwaves, VCRs, environmental systems such as barn heating and ventilation systems, vehicles, feeding systems, etc. The key to deciding if any of these are suspect or critical is to check to see if you ever had to reset the date after a power failure or dead battery. If not, then you can likelihood, put them on the bottom of your priority list in terms of compliance checking. How many of you have VCRs that are flashing 12:00 yet are still able to watch Armageddon. <P> The one danger that I see arising from too much alarm concerning the Y2K bug is that system failures totally not related to it may be blamed on the bug and thus proper remedial action not taken. Take for example, a situation where someone celebrating New Year's Eve on December 31st jumps into his brand new pickup the next morning and it doesn't start. Is it the Y2K bug or could it be that he left the headlights on all night. <P> There are a lot of issues concerning this problem that should be addressed and maybe this is the forum to do that in.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.