• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Fencers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Fencers

Lookin for info on electric fencers. Neighbor has experience and swears by gallagher but I can buy other brand for fraction of price. Also, how about solar panels/energizers - comments? Could run wire from home 1/4 through 2 culverts and along 1 mile of existing fence on a section I crop. Fence to be built will be approx. 2.5-3 miles long.

We work with PEL fencers which are priced similar to Gallagher. There are a lot of cheap fencers out there like the US made ones that all the CO-OPs carry. I'm told that you get what you pay for and these units don't compare to the Pel and Gallagher ones in output although the output they claim looks impressive. You are talking about energising a very small length so you might get away with a cheaper one. Our PEL was about $400 and it is powering about 25 miles of single strand just now. Bear in mind you might want to expand your system in future so you should probably buy bigger capacity than you need. Make sure that your fencer has replacable circuit boards as we had one fried this summer despite having a lightening protector on it. We had to buy a whole new unit to replace it with - the newer PELs have the replaceable circuits.
    We also have a solar unit that we got for free as a result of a pipeline fencing job that we use on a quarter where we don't have power access. It is an excellent fencer too although I have mostly used in summer when there was plenty sun. Winter grazing in overcast conditions might be tougher.

Comment

We use a variety of fencers including plug in and battery powered/solar.
      Solar fencers are a rip off. You are way better off buying the components and wiring it up yourself. It takes all of 15 minutes and is way more robust.

We use a 13.5J Speedrite fencer (from NZ) that is comparable to a Gallagher and 1/2 the cost. www.lambacres.ca
      I think these are the same guys that make PEL and Stayfix, and they will send a replacement fencer if yours requires repair (which are done in Canada)

We run this fencer with a deepcycle 12 volt battery and a 100 watt solar panel off of Ebay for less than the 10 watt gallagher panel costs in my local farm store. This large panel also pumps water from a homebuilt solar pump.

Actually, if they are on sale the Canadian Tire panels are not a bad deal. We run several of these on everything from strip fencers to homemade water pumps.

We have had good luck with yellowjacket strip fencers for swath grazing and small patch grazing. They run on 12 volts or D cells. $10 cheaper at UFA than Princess Auto.
      We have also had good luck with our Bulldozer plug in fencer (the only NA built fencer I can really say that about).

Comment

In regards to the cheaper fencers...... We're happy with the Parmak 6V fencers that we are using. Might not have the kick of the more expensive ones, but we like the complete unit of fencer, solar panel, meter and dry battery. On a longer fence, a 12V would be worth the extra cash.

Comment

Bought the largest 110 volt gallager 9 years ago (about $800.00) and have not had any trouble with it. Any wet grass that touches the wire...burns off.

Comment

smcgrath76 .... "You are way better off buying the components and wiring it up yourself. It takes all of 15 minutes and is way more robust. "

smcgrath76 - LOL, I sense a little bit of "Tool Time Tim" in you.
            "way more robust" .... not sure how to type that sound Tim makes when "EXTRA POWER" Is mentioned!!
            Who do you get to test it ... LOL (wink)

Comment

A bit. LOL. I know that $700 for a 10 watt panel in the farm supply store is $70 per watt. I also know that the last 100 Watt panel I bought off Ebay was $580 delivered, or $5.80 per watt and it will run a lot more than just our fencer.

If I ever build a house I will have to take some pictures.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...